What to bring with you.....

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
flyeogh
Resident

Re: What to bring with you.....

Postby flyeogh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:27 pm

Wicksey surely what is nice for many new immigrants is to have a few familiar things as they start out on their adventure. And often at that stage they don't want to be splashing loads of dosh on products they could have bought for a fraction of the price a few days before. As you say the price can be justified (in most cases Carrefour :shock: ) but it still grates. So I'll stick with my list :lol:

An aside the thing that bugs my Spanish wife is for example the quality of finger courgettes and raspberries that are easily found in the UK but very difficult to find in Spain - even though they are Spanish products. But I wouldn't suggest a suitcase full of either :D

ps Wicksey I'm impressed by the amount of mango chutney you get through :thumbup:
El raton de watford

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:13 pm

I buy nan bread from Carrefour for 1.20 Euros from their bread section. In the international section it's more than double that price. Pitta bread is only 1.25 Euros in the same section

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:20 pm

. . . . a good translation dictionary . . . Michel Thomas' CDs for learning Spanish . . . and, as gerry says, patience. It's Spain. not Britain; they do things differently here( if they get round to doing them at all!)

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:08 pm

flyeogh wrote:Wicksey surely what is nice for many new immigrants is to have a few familiar things as they start out on their adventure. And often at that stage they don't want to be splashing loads of dosh on products they could have bought for a fraction of the price a few days before. As you say the price can be justified (in most cases Carrefour :shock: ) but it still grates. So I'll stick with my list :lol:

An aside the thing that bugs my Spanish wife is for example the quality of finger courgettes and raspberries that are easily found in the UK but very difficult to find in Spain - even though they are Spanish products. But I wouldn't suggest a suitcase full of either :D

ps Wicksey I'm impressed by the amount of mango chutney you get through :thumbup:

Mercadonna have raspberries at the moment, and blueberries, just as well as the peaches and nectarines are rock hard! I can at last have some nice fruit with my yoghurt!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:11 pm

I would bring a suitcase of shredded wheat! At least we can buy Weetabix here and Tetley teabags. Other than that we buy Spanish!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:47 pm

After nine years here I still stock up on Atora Shredded Vegetable Suet, Colman's Dried Mustard Powder and Thornton's Viennese Truffles every time I go to the UK. I agree with Gerry, though. Patience is the most important thing to bring with you.

CurtThoughts
Tourist

Postby CurtThoughts » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Bring some sunscreen and beach towels to take advantage of all the warm weather!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 pm

When we go to UK there are a few treats I have - tomato sausage (bit of a Yorkshire thing), Morrisons cream meringues, polony, and haddock in crispy batter. Fortunately, when we come back here it's all grilled fish and salad, otherwise I would be round! When we lived in UK I probably had a pork pie once every 3 months, but sometimes, I would kill for one here. Does anyone know if Paul in Granada, who used to be a pork butcher in Leeds, is still making his pork pies?
AlisonB

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 pm

i would say.. as many packets of paracetamol and cold capsules and antihistamines as you can fit in your bag. paracetamol is 3€ a packet here, its 16p in the uk.

An android box to watch tv / films on - readily availble online or in the uk for 30-40 pounds delivered. the robbing gits want 200€ for the exact same unit here in spain (an i mean english tv installers, not spanish people..)

Bring a electric blanket for the bed. It gets COLD here in the winter, wether people tell you that the sun shines all year or not, at night it can be 5 degrees, and while you may not feel the cold now cos you have just arrived, in a year you´ll be glad that you have it. Its the best thing that i ever bought, and im only in my 30s.

oven gloves are avalible in the chinese shops of coin, dunnes stores, primark and now dealz. Gravy too - dunnes, dealz & iceland. Lidl, aldi and mercadona have raspberries and blueberries where the salad is. im sure iceland do too, at some inflated price.

Curry powders / spices etc are all avaliable by the kilo if you wish, from places that make / sell olives & nuts. they normally have a shop at the front that sells to the public, or at least acietunas bravo does, in aeg on the cartama road.

Theres not alot of things that you cant get here in spain, or online, but theres alot of things that are alot cheaper in the uk.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Atora vegetable suet for the dumplings in winter stews and Colmans Dried Mustard Powder to add zing to cheese sauces (home-made from scratch, of course). I have never seen those two things anywhere in Spain.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:39 pm

Atora is here, you just need to track down your local source. Colmans powder all over the place (SuperSol amongst others) but the paste stuff is priced like gold compared to UK. Decent tea bags, bought when on Bogoff (Tesco online at present for Tetleys) though Dunnes are a fair substitute.
The trouble with consumables is that you are only putting off the day...unless you have a flow of visiting rellies to keep you topped up.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Peter, Atora is not in Extremadura and nor is Colmans. Extremadura is West of Asia — a long way west. Thanks, anyway.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:58 am

Dealz have double ended oven gloves upstairs for 1,50€, and Iceland have a promotion this week? 300 PG Tips for 4,95€.

There's lots of things that you can get here that you don't need to bring, but the things I mentioned, paracetamol etc, are alot cheaper in the UK - I use pharmacyfirst.co.uk and get stuff delivered to here.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:46 am

Paracetamol 1gram monsters €2.25 for 60 at our local farmacia.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Books were high on my list when we first moved here, but now there are things like Kindles for reading books on my supply has gone down- I used to visit the charity shop in my old town, 30p a book, a bargain!! A warm cardigan/jumper. We just visited the UK and bought back some crumpets, a lovely treat! I also bought some Stilton cheese, but discovered when home I had left it in my sons fridge!!

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 pm

Bring a booking for a one or two week intensive Spanish course on your own staying with a Spanish family to give yourself a good kick-start

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Books and videos in the charity shops in AeG are 3 for 1€, so the same price. New books in spanish or english in Carrefour are crazy expensive :eek: they must be loosing alot to the likes of amazon and play.com