Which area would you recommend

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Re: Which area would you recommend

Postby fyfin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Indeed highly recommended, but although it is a charming little town it's a bit too hilly for us. I remember driving there the first time and I was going to park at the bottom on the main road and walk up but my wife insisted I should drive further up. Talk about narrow roads!! I love this area though and Mojacar beaches are gaining in popularity.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Another place we stayed for a while was Benamargosa which at that time was certainly very Spanish and with some rather quaint customs e.g. you could have a smoke and buy a beer in the butcher's shop. We loved it there although it was fairly quiet. Not Almeria of course, inland of Malaga and the nearest coastal town was Torre del Mar which we also liked. However, our travels eventually took us to where we are now via Roquestas de Mar.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Lavanda wrote: PS "A rural community of 23k" is NOT exactly a rural community. In the whole of Extremadura there are only three towns bigger than that. 23k is not a village. However, I am sure it is lovely.
Potato, potato. It sure is a rural community because if you are not working in agriculture or the local commerce you will most likely spend all days either at the bar or smoking weed in the park. Also, I go after the so called "dance band index". If they play tacky dance band music it is rural.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:26 pm

Are you in a potato area? We grow tomatoes, have lots of olives and figs, of course, and fruit trees of all sorts. The dance of choice here is the Pasa Doble but whether that is tacky, or not, I have no idea.

MartinBeard
Tourist

Postby MartinBeard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Lavanda wrote:Hi MartinBeard, I live in a village of 2000 so it is a medium-sized place. It is wonderful and extremely easy to fit in and everyone accepts you with smiles, open arms, advice and helpfulness. It's great. The downside, if it can be called that, is that you MUST speak Spanish, want to fit in, go along with local traditions and enter into the swing of village life in all its phases. Flexo is right in so much as the Spanish do like to do things in groups BUT they respect personal and home privacy. Friends never just drop in unless your gates or doors are open. That's the signal that you are 'at home' to visitors. Otherwise your space is totally respected. Only my experience, of course.

PS "A rural community of 23k" is NOT exactly a rural community. In the whole of Extremadura there are only three towns bigger than that. 23k is not a village. However, I am sure it is lovely.
Thanks Lavanda and Flexo for the detailed responses! I know exactly what you mean, I feel like I am more drawn to the small town/village atmosphere. My Spanish is passable, but I aim to continue to practice and make it much better before I travel. I am always open to trying new things and I feel like attempting to fit into the village life is something that I would love to try. At the very least, if it's not for me then its not for me, but at least I will get to experience it

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Flexo, do you mean the 70s Eurovision style? That's how it is in my village in rural Italy