Starting a Shop

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
benal82
Tourist

Starting a Shop

Postby benal82 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Everyone

Myself and my husband are planning a move to Spain very soon, We have been considering opening a shop.
We have looked into the legal side, spoken with a Spanish solicitor and worked out costs.

But what I want is what's the downside?
I have trawled the web about business in Spain but all the story's, guides, forums only talk about bars, restaurants and holiday accommodation.
I know there has to be downside as everyone would be opening shops instead of other things!

If you have any information or know of any sites with details about shops please point me there.

Many Thanks

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Starting a Shop

Postby firsttango » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Might be a good idea to mention what kind of shop you were thinking of opening?? You may get more informed answers from the members here.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:30 pm

What area? If your in a mainly Spanish area the Spanish tend to support their own. If your in a tourist area it can work depending on what your selling.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 pm

I would suggest going on an intensive Spanish course probably not with your other half (ie go separately otherwise you just speak to each other in English) as, quite rightly, Spanish take a dim view of just English spoken premises and it is handier also to understand what is going on rather than depending the (not always so) professionals. It has been the experience of many that solicitors are not always au fait with the law and will often tell you what you want to hear rather that facts. They take no responsibility for any incorrect advice given.

(An acquaintance of mine lost their partner recently. They were a wealthy couple and had had a will drawn up by a chintzy lawyer in Marbella which turned out to be a nightmare scenario of incorrect advice resulting in massive taxes.)

This is friendly advice and not posted to put you off. But just take a look at some of those programmes that run on the TV when people come here and set up a business completely underestimating the mountains of paperwork, hanging around for permission to open etc etc. And not forgetting the employment laws! Fines here can he crippling.....

You may look at taking over a going concern, but make sure it is one! At least most of the ducks would hopefully be in a row. :thumbup:

PS Most of the English-run shops I can think of around here, not a primarily Brit hotspot, are greeting cards, books-secondhand or new and maybe the odd estate agent.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:02 pm

I would imagine not having experience might be a problem as well. Have you owned one in the UK ?
I would definately try to focus on something that all communities will want.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Well one downside here is the rent the Spanish landlord will charge and their attitude to rent increases. I know of two premises where the landlord put the rent up so much that the tenant couldn't afford and moved out. No-one else would pay the rent and in one case it was repossessed by the bank.

Retail here is the same as UK - location is the most important thing and success is also dependant on what you are selling of course.
We've tried it in UK and found it to be long hours for little reward.

Best of luck though and make sure to do all the research first.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I am a former shop owner and shop operator in the uk; we were very successful at what we did and were highly regarded ,both in our towns and in the trade.
We have been retired down here 16 years. My advice to you.... Don't! I wouldn't ever,ever, contemplate opening a shop down here; even though I'm very good at it, (if I may blow my own trumpet). If you want to pm me I'll list my reasons for you.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Many years ago we helped at a series of entrepreneur workshops run by the government. The most-stressed advice was to go with, or get experience. If you have not run a shop before, in the UK, what chance do you have of success in a foreign country, with very different laws, very different language and no knowledge of where to buy what you will be selling?
A few years ago Brits used to come here and open a bar, with their only experience being that they have drunk in one. By now all these optimists will have gone broke and retreated with no money and their tails between their legs. Now if they had come and worked in a few bars to learn the ropes.......
6 out if every 10 startup businesses fail within three years - in the UK, with a more vibrant economy, and familiar language, laws and practices. What do you think the odds are here in Spain?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.