Moving to UK-

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to UK-

Postby Miro » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm

I don't regret my time in Spain only I wished we had left earlier....seeing how some elderly people living there were struggling. I wanted to grow old here.

Couldn't have worded it better myself. Exactly our sentiments, too.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:29 am

Miro, your posts on this subject make very interesting reading and for those who are either packing up as you did or eventually intend to do so will read them with much interest and no doubt will find them reassuring and useful..Moving to Spain to live and going through the process of buying a property while exciting is also quite daunting and scary, not to mention having to familiarise yourself with a new system of how things work...having said that i imagine its more stressful tying up all the loose ends to return to the Uk...I always say it's easier to buy a house or a car but 9/10 it's not easy to get rid of them...As much as i love Spain i have no desire to live there permanently..Best case scenario would be 3mnths there and 3mnths here...OTH would go home tomorrow but then it is his homeland and he has been very unhappy in the Uk for the past 5years...Maybe after being here for 39yrs he has reached that time where he knows where he wants to grow old....

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:10 am

It's a curious thing, that looking back now, a year on, it doesn't seem like it was really such a big deal or even particularly stressful - yet I know at the time it seemed so! Maybe it's due to the fact that we're so settled and relaxed in our new home / lifestyle. I'm not sure that we (esp. Mrs.M) were ever as calm as we are now. We always seemed to be worrying about the next "problem". I know a lot of it was to do with our community, which we never seemed to be able to avoid getting involved in. We loved our apartment and it's location (although being so central, it was really noisy), but I do think if we had just moved somewhere else, we may have been happier. Makes me realise that wherever in the world you live, the actual home you choose is very important. (Maybe you just need to move home, Pamela!) Thing is in Spain, it's so darned expensive to sell & buy again, with the taxes etc. (Off on a tangent, but that's partly why we're concerned about Mrs.M's niece buying in Fuertaventura - they're buying in a re-purposed holiday complex, one of 38 identical bungalows; 15 are sold so far. But if they ever wish to resell, for example if they find a year from now that it's not want they really wanted, they're going to have to sell for at least 10% more than they paid just to recover their costs - but until the developer has sold all 38, that simply isn't going to happen, and they'll almost certainly end up losing money on it - and yet they nonchantly tell us "it's our pension".)
Tying up loose ends? As I've said before, a good list is invaluable! We really didn't have that much to do - although we're still waiting for that damned 3% (pretty much given up hoping now)
Don't wish to bore people with too much on the old "cost of living" comparison chesnut, as I posted about it over here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37885&start=60 - suffice to say not much different from what I posted there after 6 months, except that we've installed a new (more efficient) boiler & switched energy tariffs - something I never really wanted to chance in Spain for fear of screwing things up when they were working fine; our energy bills are noticeably lower as a result, and considering that we obviously use far more here (for heating), our annual fuel costs are almost identical. Also reduced our fibre optic costs slightly, and more significantly, I've got my car insurance down to not far off what I was paying in Spain (albeit with breakdown cover an additional extra), with the prospect of it coming down further as my NCD builds back to the max (annoyingly, only 5 years was exportable from Spain) I've said plenty of times before I think that everyone's personal circumstances are different (disclaimer!!), but for us, there really doesn't seem to be a particualrly significant difference in our overall cost of living.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:27 pm

I don't think that I thanked people who wrote messages in 2017 and 2018 re my return.

Thank you

Sheila

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 am

Well we have completed our move back to Scotland. House sold and money in our UK account. Now all we have to do is find a house. Bye bye to the Forum and thank you for the help I got over the last few years.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Bye ajtg1952 - hope you find your new house very soon :-)
Don't forget to pop in & see us from time to time :-D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:53 pm

aj - perhaps you can do as Miro has since he moved back to UK and help others out with your experiences in Spain, moving back to UK, and any other info you may be well placed to post on the forum....
Enjoy your time in Scotland!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm

For those who have moved back or for anyone who knows the answer. Off setting is talked about when paying income tax and depending on when you return to the uk can make it easier.ie move at the end of the spanish tax year. But how do you actually off set it? If for example i move to the U.K on Nov 1st i start paying Uk tax from then. So when i come to file my last spanish income tax form the following june do you not declare the income (euro eqivilant) from nov and december that you have already paid tax on in the U.K? Or is it done a different way

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:03 pm

The problem arises because the UK allows split tax years, but Spain does not. Even if you leave in November, you will be tax resident for the rest of the year. Declare your total annual income in Spain, pay the UK tax for the two months and claim it back on the Spanish tax return that you submit the following year.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 pm

On the other hand - if you leave in the first quarter of the year, you will not have been resident for 183 days so will/can claim to be non-resident for that calendar year and do not have to file a tax return. But the UK will only deem you to be resident from the date you arrive, so you may have a couple of months tax free. I think. Sid?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:28 pm

So cid. You declare everything for 2018 on your spanish return the following year but there is also a section on the form where you can ask to claim back the euro equivilant of the tax you paid in the uk during nov and dec?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:24 pm

That's correct.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Miro wrote:But the UK will only deem you to be resident from the date you arrive, so you may have a couple of months tax free. I think. Sid?

That's right. Choosing the right time to arrive and depart is very important at both ends.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks. So they dont take it off you and then you have to wait for a rebate?. I presume probably wrongly as this is spain that its just caculated based off the info you give and they dont tax you on the nov/dec months?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:28 am

As I said, you pay it in the UK AND Spain, but offset the UK tax on your Spanish return. No rebates involved.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks. So whats the amount you put in the box. Your income for nov and dec or the tax you paid for nov /dec

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am

Has anyone had any experience with CGT on returning to the uk. Ie you rented out a uk house while in spain then on returning to the uk wanted to sell it.reading hmrc site is as always confusing. On returning to the uk we will live in our old house that is rented out but within a short time will want to sell it. As we will be uk residents and living in the house again will there be no CGT issues. As hmrc talks about how many years you rented it out for and relief for x amount of years.does this relate to if you sell it when you arent living in it?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am

Your income in the UK is included in the annual total income figure. Any tax you are claiming double taxation relief for goes into the relevant box.

Sid

eveyon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby eveyon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Can I ask a question on the subject of returning to uk?. A friend of ours (not in the best of health and recently widowed)suddenly decided to go back to uk. He has put the house on the market but we have been left to clear it and sort out everything else. He has cancelled his direct debits but wants us to cancel his contracts with movistar and endesa. As far as I am aware he has to do this himself but cannot get through on the phone to either of these companies to clarify this.
Any advice would be extremely welcome

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Does your friend have an estate agent who is selling the property for him - they or the buyer's gestor would change the Endesa contract on taking over the house ... does he really want the electric cancelling before selling - and this makes it much more complicated for the new owners if they have to start a new contract from scratch rather than taking over and existing one.

Are you yourself in Spain? - go to the nearest Movistar shop and ask there, or ask them to put you through, at the shop and on the shop phone, to an english speaking agent who can advise, depending on your spanish of course ... but the shop should be able to help with a Baja of a contract, and clarify if the actual contractor has to do it ... and if so how-