Moving to UK-

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Moving to UK-

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Well as there is no moving back to UK heading I thought that this is probably the most appropriate place for this.

Maybe most are already aware of this site, but if not...
There is available a fact sheet (No. 25) available from Age UK, lots of interesting info and contact addresses etc.
It was updated in December 2016.

http://www.ageuk.orguk/returning from abroad.

It may be helpful for some people.
Regards,
Gordon

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to UK-

Postby country boy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

sorry Gordon...that link is kaput! (Merkel inuendo...-))

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:01 pm

The link should have been:-
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB ... ?dtrk=true
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 pm

ooooops....Sorry, I forgot to check it, Thanks Gerry & Country boy.. :thumbup:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 am

This weekend a friend ( also a forum member )rang me and said 'I hear that you are moving back to UK ? '... :shock:
Who me ?.....no chance at the moment, but who knows, the way the Brexit affair is being dealt with at the moment I may have to move somewhere like Africa or Thailand or Scotland... :lol:

I only added ( eventually) the link because I was trying to be helpful, and I wonder if anyone actually found it helpful ?

Regards,
Spanish Gordon.... :wink:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for posting, Gordon. Since we're moving back in June, I'm interested in anything and everything on the subject. Research, research, research etc....just as when we left the UK many moons ago. There's nothing specific in there that's really relevant to us though, and TBH, I find stuff like that a bit depressing. I can't help thinking that anyone who needs that kind of help probably should not have left the UK in the first place, or should have moved back long before they got into that situation. May sound a bit harsh, but I have too much personal experience of elderly Brits who couldn't cope here and left it too late to return. :(
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 am

Kenny Rogers had the right idea..........apply to life too....

"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done"

Miro :: Hope all goes well with you..........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 am

Miro, Thank you and I do understand your feelings, I know that some people just drift along and hope things will get better but circumstances can change overnight and leave people in a mess, and also some also 'jump out of the frying pan into the fire'. :(

But I do hope that everything goes to plan for you with your move ,I know it can be very traumatic moving home ..whichever way you are going...

I have a relative in the Police Force in Southport by the way,and he said that it's OK and a pleasant place to live, crime rate actually not bad ....

Regards,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am

Enrique,
I didn't have you down as a country music fan :D
I thought maybe into Rap or even classic music.

Perhaps you could add a clip of you singing ?.. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks Gordon, always good to hear positive things about our intended new home. Just for the record, we're planning on living at the posh end of Southport - "Royal" Birkdale, no less :lol:
Joking aside, we did in fact pick the area because we felt it would be "nicer" than others. OH is from, and has family still in Liverpool and we will quite likely be staying there initially, but Anfield and Fairfield are not what they were when she was growing up. :(

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Good luck with the move Miro, hope it goes well for you. Having family living locally will be a major bonus for you, in helping with settling back in with registering with a doctor etc.

My partner says that we should expect to be in Spain for 10 years, I've told him, I am making the move for life. I don't know the reasons that bring you back to the UK but I am very much hoping that Spain will be my home until I die.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I guess it all depends on your reasons for moving, your time of life and personal circumstances etc. We didn't retire to Spain, which may be the difference. When we moved to Spain, there was no particular time-span in mind, but we certainly never expected to still be here 20 years later! Apart from being totally sick of silly bureaucracy and general inefficiency etc. etc., (OH more than me) it's really just time for a change, and for new adventures. There was certainly never any great love affair with Spain, it was never "The Dream", it just sort of happened. As for seeing your days out here, well hopefully that will be a very long time, but as Gordon remarked, things can change suddenly and unexpectedly. The only thing I'll say is that I've seen for myself how it is to grow old alone in a foreign country where you struggle to make sense of things at times. Unless you have family in Spain, I think a lot of people discover too late that it's not necessarily the place they want to die.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 am

Miro,
I've pondered on your thoughts and words and understand them.
We also worked and lived in Spain and then retired here, from choice.
Where I die isn't too important to me, but for me it will probably be Spain where we no longer have any family but do have many caring and compassionate Spanish friends....

And now back to living !!!
May I wish everyone a fun and great weekend...wherever you are... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 pm

I think alot depends on what age you come out and the age of any children.with the early retires they start having issues of kids back at home getting married and having kids and where before there was no pull to the uk missing out on the grandkids early years has pushed people who were here for the long haul back to the uk. Same at the other end friends who went from we will die here to well when one dies the other will go back to now being back in the uk after getting into their mid 70's and starting to have niggles and deciding to go back while they still have decent enough health to enjoy buying a new house in the uk ect. Things can and do change

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 pm

There have been rumours for the last couple of years, but I heard today that from next year all subvenciones (discounts) on local rates (IBI) and water / basura bills are being scrapped in our town.
For those like us who have enjoyed over 40% discounts for years, that could be a significant increase in costs. I'm starting to think that the difference in overall cost of living for us between the two places may be quite negligible.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:58 pm

How did you get the discount Miro? I'm not sure if it applies here or not. Mind you, our IBI is only 180€ so still an awful long way short of the 1200 pounds it would be for a small house where we used to live. Our running costs are way below anything we could live in in the UK so we are still a lot better off here.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm

We've had a similar discount (40%) on our IBI bill in Vélez-Málaga for about the past 8 years. It was introduced when catastral values were revised, and for properties under a certain value it covered 90% of the difference between what the IBI bill would have been pre-revision and what it went up to. To qualify, the house had to be our principal residence, we had to be on the padron as at 31st December each year, and not have any outstanding public debts. After I claimed for the first year, it has continued automatically from year to year, without the need to submit a new claim. It is still in force for this year and I haven't seen anything from the Ayuntamiento to indicate they are considering scrapping it. However, if I were to move to another property in the municipality I wouldn't qualify for the discount, and if someone else bought my house they would have to pay the full IBI bill too.

Although our bill is higher than yours, as you say it is still substantially below what we would now be paying in the UK, for a smaller house than we have here. The Council Tax bill for our old property would be 1200 pounds from this April, too. And they only get their household waste bins emptied every three weeks for that. Our electricity and gas costs are about half what they would be in the UK, as well. Water, I think, is about the same.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:51 pm

The discounts have been available to residents on the padrón in our municipality for years; the longer you've been registered, the higher the discount. There's a further discount for pensioners. Our bill last year was around €150. The full bill would be about €600 I think.
The house we're hoping to buy in the UK will cost us about £1200 per year in council tax, but we'll be saving over €2,500 in income tax by moving to the UK. Swings and roundabouts (with no cars parking on the latter :lol: )
Fair point about the bin collections though. That worries me. :thumbdown:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Miro,
I haven't noticed if you have updated your proposed move and wondered how you are getting on with your purchase ?

I have located a perfect leaving present for you in my library, it's a little book with the title 'Lern Yerself Scouse'.....you are probably going to need it. :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Gordon, thanks for your interest. There has been no development yet, everything is on hold while our "vendors" (hoping that's what they turn out to be) are still looking for a place to move to. Ludicrous situation, this whole chain business in the UK :x

I've been Scouse by marriage for 25 years, so I'm quite familiar with the vernacular, have not been back to my own "tierra" down souf for a long time, and feel more at home Liverpool. I guess, however, that just like taking Spanish citizenship wouldn't make me really Spanish, this doesn't actually make me proper Scouse, and I'll always be a Londoner.
Have you ever seen Korean Billy's videos? Mrs.M and I find them very good for bridging any language barrier that may still exist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2fSaSR6elQ
:wave: