Moving to UK-

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to UK-

Postby Miro » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Yes, you're right, the things I've mentioned are relatively minor issues and yes, we are happy with our move. I'm posting about them partly (as those who have followed my posts over the years know) because I like to use the forum to get things off my chest, and partly (mainly, I like to think!) because they are the silly little things that we didn't anticipate and that I think other members (especially those who may be considering moving back some time) may be interested to hear about.
Of course it's swings and roundabouts, as well. Iceland's flavoured water (SWMBO drinks lots of it) is much cheaper, and they deliver it for free. And in our nearest supermarket, Farmfoods, for example we can buy a 7.5kg sack of perfectly wonky spuds cheaper than they were in Spain. When, by the way, did Britain become so OCD about the shape of its veg? If, as I've read over the years, it's silly rules coming out of Brussels, then Spain clearly ignores such rules (correctly, in my opinion) and Britain stupidly obeys, and Brexit could be the best thing that happens to food in the UK. I suspect it's nothing at all to do with the EU though, but I can't for the life of me understand why people are willing to pay more just for nice & uniformly shaped veg. Weird! And yes, the average cost of a cup of coffee is beyond my comprehension. In Germany, it's typically €1,20 - €1,50 - more or less the same as in Spain. So why are Brits so happy to pay so much? It really puzzles me. I can only assume it's because they're making lots of money selling overpriced cologne, fruit, veg or meat, so are happy to be fleeced by someone else who's selling overpriced coffee.
Gordon, let me know when you start selling Spanish cologne over here again! :wave:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Miro,
Glad you're finding your way around Southport, one of the things I miss most about Spain is a cup of con leche and of course the price.

However, the nearest taste I have found to it, apart from my Tassimo machine, is a latte with an extra shot of espresso, even better when it's free from Booths when you buy something, shame about the giant takeaway cup but it's still good.

Even tried to buy Nordic tonic water here but it works out more expensive than gin!

Still God loves a trier, so I have to keep trying out different tonics to try and match the taste, obviously with the addition of gin, ice and lemon to try and replicate that Spanish flavour :thumbup:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 am

Really I suppose that it is very much the same for returning expats as new arrivals, you do miss familiar products, but learn to adapt and change as time goes by.
We still regular 'Red Cross' parcels from our children with essentials like Marmite and Oxo Cubes and Ovaltine.!!
Although we could live without them it's just nice to receive something from our 'previous' lives, and I'm sure that returnees feel the same.
A friend who is returning to UK next year after 15 years in Spain mentioned to me that she has found this thread helpful and interesting, so anyone who can add any tips about returning, please do so, I'm sure many people will be most grateful.
And I would guess that it's a good way for ex-expats to keep in touch with the forum and Spain .
My friend asked me about the current situation regarding connecting gas, electric, telephone, does anyone know if deposits are still required, I know this has been mentioned before, but requirements change...any up to date information/ advice will be gratefully received by her.
Regards,
Gordon

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:04 am

Was in ALDI in Le Caleta de Velez and they stocked, Marmite, Colemans Mustard, mint sauce, horseradish, Sarsons Vinegar, Branston Pickle, Heinz Salad Cream, Cheddar Cheese etc but no Ovaltine though :D
I So Bella tis you

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:18 am

Glad to hear that others find this interesting & helpful - that's what it's all about after all, isn't it?
Change & adapt - yes, couldn't agree more. Have to say, I never missed a thing when we first left the UK (first to the US, later to Spain), and was perfectly happy to accept alternatives to familiar items. The problem I'm finding back in the UK is that there are no alternatives to some things we're used to - such as (sorry to keep repeating it) loose fresh veg, cheap cologne, and yes, reasonably priced cups of coffee when out and about! We've been to many countries during the last 20 years, and never have I balked so much as the price of a cuppa!

Utility connections:
Assuming you're referring to the UK (for your returning friend) - on the day that we completed on our house purchase, I phoned or used online chat facilities to give meter readings to the electric, gas (both with British Gas) and water (United Utilities) companies, and within literally minutes everything was organised. No deposits required - British gas didn't even require a direct debit to be set up. It really could not have been easier. A far cry from the fiasco that is Endesa - although our local water provider in Torremolinos surprised us by actually refunding us (in cash) a deposit we forgot we had paid 13 years ago.
Phone/Internet - Orange in Spain tried to play silly b*ggers with me over the return of the router (they already had it, and seem to have given up their pursuit of it now). I opted for Plusnet here in the UK. I took a one year contract, and I think they charged for the line rental up front (£200+) and are subsequently charging only £7 or so a month for the internet. No deposit or connection charge)

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:19 am

Sorry, double post

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:39 am

Miro, I can't comment on the Cologne but loose fresh veg? You are on the doorstep of dozens of proper farm shops selling veg direct off their own farms and other local fields. Try Diglakes in Halsall maybe, nip up the a59 Ormskirk to Burscough road and try the shop we drive to, you can't buy fresher or looser. Their are lots of outlet you'll love in the locality.

Also and I still don't know exactly what town you are in but give the new Booth's a try, a mile outside Ormskirk on the way to Burscough, a fabulous selection of local and loose veg there too, probably the best supermarket I've yet to see.

You are only just settling in but I'm sure you'll find these little places in time, we've not bought veg from a main stream Supermarket for 15 years.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:01 pm

Miro,
Thank you for the info regarding the utilities, I'll pass it on to my friend..

With regard to your Fruit & Veg quest, why don't you grow your own ?
One of our off-spring has a veggie patch in his garden and shares an allotment, at least you know how and where it has grown, it tastes good and is good exercise.
Maybe there is an allotment near you, I know that all of the 'members' share their produce, bit like WWII, 'Dig for Britain' :lol:
Some of my relatives buy from farm shops and farmers markets, they do tell me that they can be a bit expensive, and when an item is sold as 'Organic' ,how do you know that is true ?
I've also been told that some of the farm shops etc. do buy some of their 'produce' from fruit and veg wholesalers. :shock:
Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:34 pm

DA, I'm in Southport (centre). Nearest supermarket (ironically) is Farmfoods, which actually beats hands down all of the "big" supermarkets for spuds and a few other staples. We're quickly realising, too, that we're probably going to have to adapt by buying more frozen veg than we're used to. Drove past Booth's recently, and checked out the website when we got home. Seems very posh i.e. pricey. Next time we're up that way, we'll pop in and check it out though. Been to a couple of "farmer's markets", which were disappointing, selling "home grown" stuff that's cheaper in any supermarket. Don't know about the local farms - but I suspect they're mainly pushing "organic" produce, which unfortunately usually just means more expensive. And anyway, I don't want to be jumping in the car to pop out and buy a cauliflower - that's why we chose to live near a town centre (like we did in Spain) - so that we can walk everywhere (it's apparently good for you!) Apart from being rather surprised at the price of some veg, it's the packaging that gets me more than anything though. It's so unnecessary (for me, at least - maybe not for people who are in a rush all the time, which compared to Spain, seems to be everyone)
The good news is, although I'm no Percy Thrower, I did throw a few seeds in our garden a couple of weeks ago, and now there's some coriander, parsley & spring onions starting to appear already :thumbup: If they're a success, I plan to expand my product range, and will set up on the roadside at harvest time to supply the locals!
Another slight problem for us is that although Southport happily has a large Polish community & therefore supermarkets catering to them, the Asian community is obviously much less significant. In Torremolinos we had an excellent Chinese supermarket on our doorstep; here, we'll have to save shopping for (real) Chinese food (we eat a lot) for when we visit sister-in-law in Liverpool, where just around the corner the old Dale's on Prescot Rd is now Chiu Wah's ! :thumbup:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:37 pm

That's correct. The local farm shop's here do indeed buy in produce to stock the shelves. However with time you get to which is their own and which is not. For your basic cabbage's, cauli's, sprout's, spud's carrots etc. pretty much all year round you can buy produce grown within a mile of where you live in this area. Downside is it can be a bit grubby if it's freshly chopped or picked and will need a wash to get rid of unwanted guests etc. Maybe a bit more expensive than your ordinary supermarket but below M&S prices I'd reckon, and certainly 100% fresher.

Some of the bought in stuff as you say can be a little bit rough as they don't really want to chuck it out before its sold haha. We do avoid fruit at these places.

Meat is another thing too, there are a lot of farms now licensed to breed, slaughter and sell their produce, again maybe a bit dearer than the high street but the quality gain outweighs the pound or two extra spent.

Growing your own does beat the lot for sure, we've tried it and loved it......but boy it's labour intensive and a problem when you go on hols for a month.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Just seen your post Miro as I've posted mine. Just got back from Southport too by the way!!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Paulinmalaga,
Thank you for the tip regarding UK goods on offer in Aldi, although I wouldn't make a special journey to buy UK foods, I will call in next time we are passing.
We don't have an Aldi near us, but does anyone know if other Aldi outlets sell UK foods.?
Regards,
Gordon

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Nice one Miro, I'm popping across to Life's Motors again next week in Southport. If you wish to meet up for a chat I'll brief you on where to buy the Holy Grail of Cauliflowers locally :mrgreen:

Seriously as for the Chinese Supermarket, probably the best stocked and cost effective one for both fresh stuff and chinese sauces and condiments is WH Lung in Blackstone street. It has the fantastic Tai Pan restaurant above it. A really big place selling everything from food as mentioned to all the Chinese cooking utensils too. Very interesting place.

Plenty of fresh veg, meats, ducks and chickens there with some weird and wonderful stuff too we love to try. They also sell full roasted ducks brought down from the restaurant upstairs but cheaper to take out, a real treat. Incredible taste if you like Chinese duck. They bring them down every day from noon to about 3pm. Well worth a visit.

Try Booths again, some really nice stuff in there, a bit different to the normal Asda/Tesco Fayre and always some special offers on.

For instance they've been doing these boneless fresh pheasants recently stuffed with an orange stuffing mix for a little over a fiver, glorious with their sandy carrots they sell that steam beautifully.

Yes, you have some nice walks around you, I love the esplanade now after the recent works and a loop of that is lovely.

Have you bought and older trad Southport house or a more modern one?

Coffee?? Yes the Mrs agrees with you too, she misses the quality of the coffee in Spain a lot, she say's it's impossible to match. And it seems to be good no matter where you go, the tiniest bar to the poshest hotel, it all seems to be great.

However, again I have a tip on that and it's on your doorstep. I've mentioned it before but try Volare on Lord street. Not the Restaurant but their deli next door but one. Have a cafe solo and tell me what you reckon? Try their roast spuds and chicken dish too for a light snack.

All the best.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks for the tips. We know WH Lung & the others in Liverpool - Mrs.M is actually from a Liverpool Chinese family, so not much I need to tell her about where to go and what to buy. Just a shame none have branches up here.

We looked at some Victorian properties, but quickly decided we'd prefer something more modern (lower maintenance). We were looking last year at a town house on West Street, about 100 metres down from Life's, funnily enough. Probably a little too central - and the seller messed around too much. We nearly compromised on location and went out to Birkdale - but luckily, the sellers messed around to much! We've ended up in a lovely 17 year old town house between town & Hesketh Park - easy walking distance to pretty much everything. Had a lovely walk in the sun (& a bit of rain!) around King's Park this morning, followed by a nice mug of coffee at Pound Bakery (for a quid, of course!!) Nothing wrong with the quality, and the price is right :thumbup:

(P.S. no problem, even as a Southerner, distinguishing true Scousers from West Lancastrians: at Pound bakery last week I ordered a Coke, and asked if they had any ice; immediate dead-pan response: "you 'ave to go to the Two Pound Bakery for that, lad". Scouser :lol: )

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Hahaha, yes I think you dodged a bullet with the West Street house. Lovely central area but Dave at Life's say's it's like Dodge City after dark when the clubs open. He dreads summer too with a vengeance with the holiday makers sticky ice creams dripping all over the cars and his carpets :mrgreen:

Interesting to know about the wife's connections with the Chinese Liverpool quarter, is there still a restaurant in the family?

As I say, we've been to Southport today, then called in to Churchtown on the way back and had a sandwich in the Botanic gardens.........until the heavens absolutely opened.

We actually park up near yours then when in Southport, usually Avondale road area............and just 3 years ago almost pulled the trigger on a nice house in Roe Lane, however a horrific survey put paid to that one.
Sound's like you've settled back very nicely. Very pleased for you!!

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:08 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:Was in ALDI in Le Caleta de Velez and they stocked, Marmite, Colemans Mustard, mint sauce, horseradish, Sarsons Vinegar, Branston Pickle, Heinz Salad Cream, Cheddar Cheese etc but no Ovaltine though :D

And English bacon !
kerbut

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:21 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:is there still a restaurant in the family?
No, but if you were a Toffees fan in your youth (guessing approx. age!) and ever went into the chippy right in front of the ground, you may well have met her father - he'd be the one wielding a cleaver at any unruly yobs. :lol:
Devils Advocate wrote:...however a horrific survey put paid to that one.
Let me guess....the whole place (or at least the conservatory) was gradually being reclaimed by the infamous sands of Southport?! I wonder, do any of the houses in Marshside (the name alone says it all) have a chance if (when) sea levels rise?

Enjoyed a pint at the old pub outside the Botanic Gardens last week. How quintessentially English! :thumbup:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 pm

I did indeed use that very chippy if it was the one off Goodison road by the church, after every home match. I lived only a mile from the ground at the time. Unless it was the one on the corner of the end they call the "Park end", that one was not on my way home.

The Roe lane house had 2 issues, one a very bellied gable end wall that we found out was still on the move. Also it had a swimming pool for some manic reason, enclosed in a hideous glass structure which was deemed "past its best", we were looking at big money to get shut of both the pool and building.

Still like the area though, we spent a super day there after one visit to that house watching Southport Cricket club play a match at the secluded pitch there..........bloody lovely.

We are in Roby Mill now, Upholland, although we still look at properties online in the Southport area.

Beni's old haunt of New Brighton also has that same same sense of nostalgia every time I visit.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Couldn't tell you. We drive past Goodison every time we visit SIL, but even Mrs.M can't remember which one it was! She wasn't / isn't interested in soccer (or fish n chips), but anyway, grew up about 100 yards from Everton's original ground across Stanley Park :wink: The house is still standing (while most around it aren't) and is still in the family. She also has fond memories of day trips to New Brighton.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:48 pm

Miro & DA,
It was interesting to read both your memories of old times and your past experiences, especially your mention of New Brighton, my place of birth and my 'growing up place'.
It did touch some heart strings and gave me moments of home sickness, but it soon wore off when I thought how the places will have changed and more importantly how I've changed.
I guess that most expats actually have moments when they wish they could 'go back', but I doubt it would be the same for anyone.
So for the moment I'm happy where we are, but if We did have to return it would probably to the Wirral.
Regards,
Gordon