cave houses

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: cave houses

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 am

Gordon, fascinating post... :thumbup:

Tish Tash...Hope it all goes as you have planned. :)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:30 pm

google caveforummotion.com/ and onefootinthecave DannieandJosie, who is a member here has written at length about searching for, buying and renovating cave houses

sharon@andalucia

Postby sharon@andalucia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:54 pm

TishTash wrote:Hi Sharon,

I'm in the process of buying a cave house about 30 mins from lake Negratin and have visited that area 4 times this year already. If you want to be close to the lake and close to civilisation then choose Baza. It is the biggest town in the area and is full of shops (Mercadona and Lidles) and all amenities. There are many other small villages in the area that are also only a stones throw from the lake but that one is the most popular. If you want to stay in a cave hotel to get a feel for what it will be like I can recommend a great one which is £40 a night and has twin beds. Only sleeps 2 though.

The location you choose will probably be decided by the view you get from your cave rather than how close you are to the shops. Some caves have views that seem to go on forever and others are like a row of terraced houses in the UK - great if you want neighbours, not so fab if you want peace and quiet.

If you need to know anything else, just shout.

Natasha
thank you natasha for the information
ive looked at dozens so far around friela , bacor and galera . dont want to be too near a large town as like you im looking for peace and quiet . views are more important to me . im learning spanish at the moment as i want to be able to shop locally at the markets etc .
where is the cave house your looking at if you dont mind my asking ?

sharon@andalucia

Postby sharon@andalucia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 pm

PS im planning a few visits next spring to see the villages for myself . I looked at one if Zujar which is still for sale but it looked a bit small and on google earth zujar didnt look very picture postcard to me .
the proximity to the lake will be important during the heat of the summer especially as many cave houses dont have plunge pools or room to put one in from what i can see .

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Went to guadix a few weeks ago and had a look in a cave house.rather impressive and cool!

TishTash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby TishTash » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Sharon, check out Rusticom website, it should give you a good idea of what is on the market around here. I have finally moved into my cave house in Fontanar and couldn't be happier with it. The temperature has started to drop overnight and I don't notice it at all. My son wanted one of the upstairs bedrooms which have been built onto the front of the cave and he tells me that it get's chilly in there at night and in the morning, but down here in the cave it's a lovely temperature. I imagine I won't need heating on till the snows.

As for a plunge pool, it's unlikely you will be able to dig one out as most cave houses are on the side of hills/mountains so finding one with that much outside space and no one below will be a challenge, but there are some out there. Mine has a small 6x3 meter pool which will be perfect in Summer. I know there is one on the Rusticom website at the moment as I just checked it out to write my review of their services, which I highly recommend.

Good luck on your hunt :)