What items do you miss most?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
TishTash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: What items do you miss most?

Postby TishTash » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions :) I'm a bit surprised at how this thread turned into a "ready meal" debate though lol!

If you fancy cooking, cook. If you fancy a ready meal, grab one. If you want to eat Mucky D's every single day, do so. Not up to me to judge lifestyle or choices. I love many ready meals, often chucking a curry in the microwave because it's quick and I simply can't be bothered to cook. But I come from a family of chefs and can easily prepare something fab. All depends if I fancy cooking today or just pinging something in the microwave.

Plus, for reference, both my parents are Spanish, but I was born and raised in the UK. Both parents owned and ran a French/Basque restaurant and I have tasted the most incredible food throughout my life, but still think you can't beat a fabulous British banger :)

A long, long time ago my father predicted that ready meals would be a big thing in the future and he was right. You see, it's not just about cooking, it's also about making that list of shopping items based on what ingredients are needed for each recipe which comes with planning and experience. You could buy 3 peppers every week and think you are going to use them, but unless you have a dish in mind, they will go to waste, same for that kilo of mushrooms you purchased and the 4 chicken breasts etc etc. It's not as simple as some would like to think. A lot of food goes to waste due to poor planning. So sometimes it just so much easier to buy prepared food as it cuts out not just the cooking, but the planning too.

Anyway, I digress. Paxo stuffing packed, pickles packed, Hoisin sauce packed, curry powder, more curry powder and even more curry powder packed. I think I will be good to go now. Just need to ween my son off the Heinz tinned ravioli.......(he is 16)

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:04 pm

You can buy all the things you mention here in Andalucia in a great variety of places, not sure about Huelva if that is to be your ultimate destination still.

TishTash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby TishTash » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:25 pm

I think my ultimate destination will still be Andalucia, but probably not Huelva. I much prefer Granada :)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 pm

There's no need for ready meals or home cooking in Granada - just pop out and order a drink, the rest will sort itself out :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'll be in Granada Sunday and Monday.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Don't forget your abanica! :mrgreen:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

Here's one for the OP - if the truck isn't already loaded and on it's way: tinned grapefruit segments. Can't remember ever seeing them in Spanish supermarkets. Bought a tin yesterday in Sainsburys; it stated "some whole, some broken, but you'll love them anyway". Are Brits really so pedantic about how their food looks nowadays? Anyway, I was looking forward to them for breakfast this morning, and then when I opened the tin discovered it had sugar added :cry: Completely ruined, and no wonder there's a problem with obesity and diabetes.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Sadly most tinned fruit has added sugar, however, regarding obesity problems etc I can't see tinned fruit has much bearing......hard to picture some of these obese individuals "snacking" on a tin of mandarin segments :lol: more likely cold pizza and chicken nuggets
I So Bella tis you

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 am

Don't forget paracetamol and cold capsules. They are very expensive here. But leave them in the packets incase you get stopped at the border....
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:34 am

Tinned rhubarb ..... must admit that does need sugar or some kind of sweetening as it is quite tart otherwise. I use it with apples to make a crumble ... just miss that flavour!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am

Iceland sell tinned rhubarb.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 am

I know Gerry, but it's a bit of a trek. I think Russells on the Costa here sell it too. It's just one of those flavours you rarely get here. It sounds like the OP will not have many English shops in the area she wants to live, although now not sure what area that is .... Huelva or Granada!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:02 pm

I have found Iceland here isn't the same as the one in The UK. I bought some fresh sausages bacon and pre prepared marinated fresh chicken in the butcher.section.I don't think the one back in the UK has a butchers
A bit weak on fresh fruit and veg though and ended up buying that in the supermaket in La Cañada (No idea what it was called though) I got some not too sweet strawberries which i put with some Iceland chocolate ice cream. Mmmmmmmm.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:51 pm

That's because it's not actually Iceland - it's Overseas Supermarkets (stockists of Iceland & Waitrose products)

I bought a pack of Dextro today from the healthcare section in Wilko - don't think I've had them in 40 years. Going for the Victory V next time :lol: