SO...Is Spain a Safe Place To Move To..?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: SO...Is Spain a Safe Place To Move To..?

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:19 am

What good responses with first class reports..Well done ...Forummers ?....... :thumbup:

Quite a few 'grey' areas highlighted, and may I respectfully suggest that everyone should be careful about becoming complacent about their security wherever they reside...
If you've never been the victim of any kind of robbery, then it's quite likely that you understandably don't believe that it will ever happen to you.

However, from my own experience I can tell you that it is very unpleasant to come home and find your belongings missing and usually everything in disarray ,and apart from the losses your personal space has been invaded, you can almost feel abused and a deep feeling of resentment and sometimes fear can set in.

So .....Please Take Care, Lock your doors and Close your windows and be more vigilant, you don't have to become paranoid , just more careful..

Have a Safe and Pleasant Weekend Everyone....Wherever you are... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:48 am

chrissiehope wrote: This was in a 'good' area, but shows it just depends on being in the wrong place at the wrong time - I always lock my doors now ;-)
Sensible decision. The element of surprise is normally what catches people out. I always set our cars central locking to automatic lock as you start to drive. Its more for my wife’s security than mine but anyone can be a victim.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 pm

elusive wrote:Certainly comes down to where you live.which is the same anywhere. I spent a lot of my childhood in a village in east Yorkshire. You didn't think to lock your doors,gates when you were in. Mind you they probably do now!
We have family living in a small town in the far north of Cumbria. Their doors are never locked, neighbours & friends come and go, cars are left with the keys in - if you're blocked in you just move the other car - and everybody knows everybody because they all went to school together....quite remarkable that it still exists, and nice in a way - but there's no way I could live there! You pays yer money and takes yer chances :wink:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Same in my village of Fortrose in Scottish Highlands. There has been no break-ins in living memory

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 pm

I was chatting with a friend the other day about safety and he asked me what would I do if I was confronted with a knife wielding mugger demanding my money... :shock:
My first answer was 'Run like Hell', and then followed by give him the money, probably the most sensible solution.
But thinking about it later I know that I would probably and foolishly have tried to give him a heavy smack in the mouth with my special 'Power Punch' which I was taught-trained to do many moons ago....
And yes I was taught numerous methods of 'Self Defence' as a youth and I've never forgotten what to do, but as an 'old codger' I wonder if I could still be as effective.
It's probably about 20 years since I had to resort to any real form of violence against a human, however last year I had an 'incident' with a German Shepherd dog who attacked one of my Podenco dogs and had his teeth sunk into his throat, so I had no choice but to prise the jaws open and of course he bit my hand, I now have a 'v' scar on my upper thumb.
So I kicked the attacking dog and he backed off for a second then sprang at me, and I clobbered him with my 'power punch', which turned him over twice ,he got up dazed and ran off..thankfully, but I then had a badly bruised hand and arm which was quite painful, but I had to react quickly so really had no choice.
And of course that is the problem with dealing with any violence or threats ,it usually takes you by surprise.!

I wonder how many members have had some self defence training and if not would they consider it a possibility ?
Actually there are many offers of self defence training on You-tube etc, you could probably soon learn a few good 'moves'..?

Take Care,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:39 am

HELLO....HELLO............hello....hello.....

Anyone there?

Has the world as we know it ended, and nobody bothered to tell me ?

Is no-one Moving to Andalucia.......this street is deathly quiet with just an occasional clump of tumble weed drifting by...
In the distance I can see a solar powered Telly showing Teresa May choking on her untruths, but no one watching....
I think I'll go and renew my membership of the Lemming Gloom and Doom Party..... :(

CU,
Gordon....

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Hola Gordon. I'm still here but the continuing 34ºC during the day with no rain for months and none on the horizon is making me apathetic. "Is Spain a safe place to move to?" you ask. I suppose it depends on where you compare it to and which part of Spain you are thinking about. I would say that Extremadura is in the Top 10 safe places in the World right now but our nuclear station at Almarez might just blow up, I suppose, making it pretty unsafe. I imagine we get our fair share of robberies and things but I live West of Asia and Beyond the Sticks so I cannot say I ever think about any kind of security or personal safety on a daily or ever yearly basis. However, i do have insurance so I must have thought about it once. :shh:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Sorry Beni - got no training in self defense, so didnt reply ..... Still here though and not seen any violence up here in Huelva Provincia - there have been a few robberies in campo houses over the 10 years we have been in this area, but no personal violence. The youths (and not so youthful) in town may get a bit rowdy after a night of fiesta but no more than that. On the edge of the sierras near a well run market town, I would say our part of Spain is safe to live in .... but the comments about those nasty, willfull, disloyal, illegal, traitorous, Catalans are not fit for gentle ears. We are quite shocked at how vicious the comments are about the Catalans from our normally peaceable neighbours and acquaintances - shocked!! :oops:

I agree with Lavanda after yet another ridiculously long and HOT summer, we have yearnings for a few spots of rain to cool it all down - the real danger in moving to Spain is coping with the +35ºC from mid May to end October ... :wave:

Rosettastoned

Postby Rosettastoned » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:09 pm

I specifically joined this forum in order to comment on this topic. In eight years I have never been robbed by the Spanish, but have been burgled, robbed, and cheated by Brits. So do not make the common mistake of fretting about your Spanish neighbours, while merrily handing out flight details, and yes, stupidly, keys (I will keep an eye out on your home, you can't trust the Spanish, I actually believed it!).
Now that I know who to trust, a lesson expensively learned, I feel very safe in Spain. But please realise that there are whole families of Brits who live off other Brits, not by providing services, but by taking advantage of our naivety.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Lavanda ..Hola,
Good to hear that you are 'still around' and I know your area reasonably well and every time that we've visited we've found the locals very friendly and helpful and never felt threatened, however we still now always keep aware and make sure that our car and belongings are secure,wherever we are.!
Good luck with your new book, I've read the preview....Is it this week that it's available.?

Gasman,
It wouldn't hurt to learn a few 'moves', always better to be safe than sorry, and anyone can learn basic self-defence it doesn't matter what age a person is...
The Catalan issue is very political and tribal and I avoid getting involved,it's not that long since the Spanish Civil War when the River Ebro ran red with blood, so still a very 'touchy' subject depending where you live.

Rosettastoned,
Welcome to the forum and I hope that you will join in with our regular 'debates' and keep us informed with what's 'going on' in your area...

As for problems with Brits, WELL, I've been there and got several t-shirts..don't get me started.. :lol:
But over the years we've met and made friends many times with other expats, not just Brits, but regretfully I still tend to remember the bad ones more than the good ones...shame really .. :(
But keep smiling and don't let the bar-st-ards get you down, rise above them ..it's easy to do that..!!

Regards,
Gordon

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:28 pm

How do you know about the new book? I'm supposed to be incognito on here!!! Thank you for asking. It's published on the 15th October and it's the culmination of two years work. It's been fabulous and I have loved it all. I'm currently writing the third book ...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Lavanda,
I've been 'kicking' around Spain for a long time and move in many circles.... :lol:

I don't know why you have to be 'incognito', your books would be of great interest to many other forum members and anyway I for one am proud to have 'met' you on the Forum......... :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:23 pm

I'm shy!!!