The best home insurance?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Stalvik
Tourist

The best home insurance?

Postby Stalvik » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi!
Does anyone have recommendations on which home insurance company to use for a townhouse?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: The best home insurance?

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Linea Directa

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes, they're fine.
If you don't know already, it is normal in Spain to find that home insurance doesn't run to Accidental Damage. LD explained some years ago that, although it was normal for it to be included in northern Europe, in Spain it was written out, because there had been so many fraudulent claims.
Maybe the situation has changed?

If you insure a vehicle with LD, you will get a discount on Home insurance, and vice-versa.
Chris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:34 pm

I thnk you only really find out how good or otherwise an insurance company is when you make a claim. We insured our former home (a towohouse) with Allianz for 11 years, and during that time made 3 claims (1 break--in, 1 water leak from a bathroom pipe, and 1 cracked wc which the insurance company said was caused by a sudden change in temperature). All were dealt with brilliantly.. They have a free phone number for claims, and you can ask to speak to an English speaking member of staff if you wish. In the case of the break-in, they sent someone to make a temporary repair to the door within 2 hours, followed up by a more thorough one a couple of days later (we could have had a new door but wanted to keep the one we had). We had to fax them a list of stolen items (no receipts required) and the claim was paid in full within 12 days, plus an ex gratia payment of 60€ to cover incidental expenses. For the other 2 claims, it was just a case of making the initial phone call to report the problem and the company organised tradesmen to repair the leak (he turned up 1.5 hours after my call) and replaster the hole in the ceiling, and they ordered and organised the fitting of a replacement wc (which was an expensive imported model but there was no quibble about replacing like for like).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:02 pm

I now have LD house insurance in addition to my cars.

We had a recent claim and it was dealt with perfectly.

Sid

Stalvik
Tourist

Postby Stalvik » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks this is very helpful. Alliance sounds good since I don't (yet) speak Spanish. :)

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 am

Just a cautionary note about that - the insurance company has fluent English speaking staff in their claims department, but the tradesmen they send to handle the repairs don't speak English (at least none of the ones they ever sent to our home did).

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:Yes, they're fine.
If you don't know already, it is normal in Spain to find that home insurance doesn't run to Accidental Damage. LD explained some years ago that, although it was normal for it to be included in northern Europe, in Spain it was written out, because there had been so many fraudulent claims.
Maybe the situation has changed?

If you insure a vehicle with LD, you will get a discount on Home insurance, and vice-versa.
I was sure I had accidental damage with Liberty so I checked with my agent and she confirmed that I do. Electrical products must have a value of more than 200€. It's not an excess because they will pay out the entire amount of goods over 200€ while on all other items they pay out the full amount.
It's a fully comprehensive policy