Residence Registration No Healthcare

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Residence Registration No Healthcare

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Previously to register without a job or pension you needed to provide proof of private healthcare.

I understand that the law was changed and healthcare is no longer required but has it been implemented on the ground? i.e. are you no longer required to produce private healthcare documents when you go to register as a resident?

I also understand that means anybody who is resident in Spain (even if not a pensioner or paying social security) is eligible to use the health service. If my understanding is correct, does anyone have any idea how I register to use the health service, and the apply to get a Spanish EHIC (TSE)?

gerrynag
Resident

Re: Residence Registration No Healthcare

Postby gerrynag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm

My understanding is that the requirements for healthcare have not changed. However, the new government has made a commitment to re-introduce free healthcare regardless of people's immigration status by the end of the year.
As regards residencia, you will still need to show proof that you can support financially yourself. So if you haven't got a job or pension, you will need to show you have got either savings in Spain or some regular income being deposited into your Spanish account. Different offices apparently don't use the same criteria in deciding if you can support yourself.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 pm

The new law was passed about a month or so ago. I know of people on the Convenio Especial who have had their direct debits cancelled and are now covered free under the new rules.

When it filters down to the guy behind the dest at the National Police registration desk is anybodies guess!k
Sid

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm

As Sid implies, it seems that the implications of the new healthcare coverage arrangements are still filtering through to other areas including 'residencia' requirements. CAB Spain have been collating information on this:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/n ... 2018-faqs/

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote:Previously to register without a job or pension you needed to provide proof of private healthcare.

I understand that the law was changed and healthcare is no longer required but has it been implemented on the ground? i.e. are you no longer required to produce private healthcare documents when you go to register as a resident?

I also understand that means anybody who is resident in Spain (even if not a pensioner or paying social security) is eligible to use the health service. If my understanding is correct, does anyone have any idea how I register to use the health service, and the apply to get a Spanish EHIC (TSE)?
Private medical care shouldn't be a problem for you Paddy, being a successful financial advisor and what have you !

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:15 am

Private medical care shouldn't be a problem for you Paddy, being a successful financial advisor and what have you ![/quote]

I have always wanted to have a stalker...makes me feel kind of important.

Part of being good at my job is being thorough. Knowing the information so that I can assist a client is part of that. None of my clients have a problem paying private healthcare, but making the registration process easier is important to them.

Luckily this forum has some very knowledgeable members who can quote laws and hard facts rather than just what some bloke down the pub said.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:02 pm

This is a forum, a place where views can be exchanged !

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Opinions are all well and good but facts are more important. An example being your assertion that I am a 'successful financial advisor'. Which you picked up on incorrectly on another post.

Successful...well that is your opinion

Financial advisor...incorrect fact. I am an investment manager. Huge legal difference.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 pm

I wasn't aware that there was a legal difference, what is it ?

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:42 am

In a nutshell an IFA (advisor) just presents products for every facet of finance and the client chooses. An investment manager actually chooses how to invest the money, usually within pre set guidelines.

These Wikipedia links are preety accurate if you want to learn more

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_management

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepen ... al_Adviser

I have also a completely different qualification to an IFA however I keep abreast of what IFAs are doing. In the case of private health insurance in Spain it is pretty pointless now for wealthy individuals (once the message filters down to the desks of the funcionarios) who wish to register to live in Spain as the max payouts on these policies are at amounts that the individuals can afford very easily..

Basically it is like you or I buying an insurance every year that has a max payout of 50 EUR...completely pointless as you can pay it yourself

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi PP - was surprised to see your comment about maximum payouts on PHI.

Ours has limit of 10.000 euro per person for treatment outside of Spanish territory, but no limits within Spain - is that unusual ?

Parilla

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:02 pm

I was surprised by that, too. My insurance has paid out for open heart surgery plus 8 days in intensive care, 3 nights in a normal hospital room, and all the pre-operative and post-operative consultations and tests this year, for a current monthly premium of €64. The premiums are guaranteed to increase only for inflation (ie not because there has been a sizeable claim the previous year) and they don't increase premiums when the policyholder turns 65 either.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Which company was that?

Sid

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Free at Last wrote:I was surprised by that, too. My insurance has paid out for open heart surgery plus 8 days in intensive care, 3 nights in a normal hospital room, and all the pre-operative and post-operative consultations and tests this year, for a current monthly premium of €64. The premiums are guaranteed to increase only for inflation (ie not because there has been a sizeable claim the previous year) and they don't increase premiums when the policyholder turns 65 either.
Very Interested to hear who you are insured with.

I am looking at a policy that a client took from Axa that states

Limites anuales de coberturas específicas de la Polizia
Limite total anual de reembolso de gastos 20,791.54

Unless my Spanish defeats me and there is something in there I missed then there is a defined limit on the payout.
You won't be surprised to hear the broker/IFA who sold this did not mention any payout limit and this only emerged in the paperwork afterwards.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:56 pm

El Cid wrote:Which company was that?

Sid
Prevision Medica. I took out insurance with them originally (nearly 9 years ago now) because I saw recommendations from you and some other forum members at the time, so thank you for that!

But as you know, they only provide cover in Málaga province and parts of Córdoba and Granada provinces in Andalucia, so no use to anyone in other areas.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm

I guessed it was PM. We have been with them for 15 years and no problems. By the way, they have almost zero facilities in Granada province.

They do have a few limitations particularly about bits they leave in you like stents and new joints. There is a relatively small cap on these and they do have some limits on care in ICU and drugs needed there. That is all completely negated by the fact that when you get to 65 they don’t increase the premium or impose extra restrictions, many companies do. However if you apply after 65 then the policy is a bit limited.

Overall I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Yes, their limit for funding "prosthetics" which include biological and artificial heart valves as well as things like new hip and knee joints is €2,000. If you need one which costs more than that, they don't pay the €2k and leave you to fund the rest, you have to pay the whole sum yourself (but they do pay the surgeon's fees and all the expenses of your hospital stay). I was lucky, the device needed to repair my mitral valve was within the €2k limit so they paid for the lot. Had I needed a new biological valve, for example, the cost would have been €4k, in case anyone is wondering how much these things cost. If that had been the case, I think I'd have gone with the state sector as we do have coverage via S1s.

The only other downside, I would say, is that their cuadro medico is pretty limited even in areas they do cover, in comparison to other companies, so you have less choice of who to use. However, the doctors and surgeons I have used have been very good, so it has not been a problem.

For the value the policy represents, I am happy with these limitations.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:43 am

PP :- After seeing Free at Last's post, I've checked our own policy carefully and asked friends who I knew to have PH cover here in Spain, with different insurers. None of them have the restrictions you describe as the norm on their policies.

Parilla

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 am

Maybe they don't know? Like my client who took Axa. There was no mention of the limit in the general policy of which a copy was provided before purchase, the limit was only revealed in the receipt where the insurees details etc were included. Which the client did not read until many months later.

I will also have to do more checking and will look very closely when I try to switch to a Spanish policy. I tried before with Prevision Medica but their restrictions on previous conditions were a joke. I had a knee surgery 10 years ago, no treatment since then and working like new, and have since run marathons etc but they said any issue with my knee will not be covered. Also I had an ulcer when I was a teenager so they wanted to restrict cover there also.

As I travel a lot I have an international policy that does not limit the time I can spend outside Spain, so I am insured like a local in any country in the world (except USA as that just multiplied the premium for a country I will never visit).

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:52 am

I had had knee surgery 10 years ago and some 3 or 4 years later Sanitas accepted me with no exclusion whatsoever, even though I declared that and other things I'd had done. A doctor called me up and chatted for about half an hour and then they accepted me.