Joining a Book Club

In this section members new and old are encouraged to post news and information about events taking place in Andalucia.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Joining a Book Club

Postby IreneD » Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 pm

If you'd like to join a Book Club in Canillas de Aceituno, here are the details, posted on facebook by my friend who is in charge (sort of lol) who is happy for me to share the info here. Hope that's OK, Sid, if not, please delete. Anyone interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with Our Leader :)

"The Canillas Book Club is looking for new members.

Do you like reading?
Do you have an e-reader?
Are you free on a Saturday morning?
Are you based in or near Canillas de Aceituno?

We are a friendly, well-established group who meet once a month on a Saturday morning to discuss the book we have all read in the previous month. We have fun, and get to read different genres of books.

We normally meet at Restaurante La Maroma, or, from time to time, at one of our homes"

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Joining a Book Club

Postby IreneD » Mon May 14, 2018 4:22 pm

We do have someone joining us from quite a distance. We are a small but perfectly formed group, well worth a little drive once a month :D

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Hope you get some new members Irene :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks, Chrissie :) We've got 2 more via messages on facebook, so only really want 1 or 2 more, we don't want to get too big, total of around 8 would be nice, then if people can't make it for any reason, there's still a nice number at the meetings. Nearly there!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 am

Good Morning Irene,
Nice to read about your little book club and what an excellent way to make friends, very important for supporting Expat communities and possibly encouraging some of the Spanish community who are learning English.

I hope that your post also inspires expats in other areas to start a book club and possibly 'link up' with other clubs ,there are so many little Expat Outposts dotted around Spain who would benefit from a little support.

Good Luck and Happy Reading... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Gordon :) We do have one Spanish member, more are welcome of course. You're right, it's a great way to make friends and also to read books I wouldn't normally have thought of. We've just read the first book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Not my cup of tea but the point is, I've now read something that has had me curious for a long time. Books like this are a Marmite read and make for an interesting discussion lol. I hasten to add most of our couple of hours together are not solely about that month's book, we have a nice chat and maybe a glass or two of something delicious :thumbup: