Traditional floor tiles versus laminate wood flooring

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:49 am

I never got into the click type laminate flooring in Britain. Here the DIY sheds seem full of it.

What are the pros and cons compared with traditional floor tiles in a campo type house? Do you need a perfectly level surface to lay the laminate on? Has anyone had laminate and regretted it? How does it stand up to ranges of temp and humidity?

olive

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:05 pm

I just feel that in a campo type house the traditional floor tiles are more aesthetically pleasing. I should imagine too that in an old house where the walls need to breathe, so does the floor too.
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:51 pm

I have laminate in the UK, but really wouldn't use in Spain, as too much damp. We eventually replaced the laminate in the kitchen in the UK, as the washing machine leaked and all the laminate swelled up and "unclicked" Give me tiles any day...

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:13 pm

Another factor to consider is the heat. I doubt wood laminate would help to keep the house as cool as tiles.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:51 am

If you live in an apartment 1st floor upwards, then maybe not a bad idea.
However take the following into account, heat, damp and infestation.
I doubt whether laminate would last too long due to the heat factor. It would buckle and even the limited amount of adhesive used in their construction would be affected.
If you buy an older property there is the likely hood of no real foundations just good old compacted stone and dirt hence muchos damp!!! I don't think your oak lookalike floor would last long.
What about the ants!!! They would probably send you a thank you note, they love dark, small spaced areas and they quite happily share these spaces with the woodlice so all in all you would be doing your bit for conservation!!
That is why the DIY sheds as you call them are full of laminate flooring, in my opinion, best place for it.
Go for good old terracotta tiles or similar every time.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

spanish biker
Andalucia.com Amigo

floors

Postby spanish biker » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Tiles every time, being in construction i have seen one or two people fit this quick flooring , not my cup of tea , i like tiles and there are so many types and styles, to suit new build or sypathetic reforms,i have reformed the cortijo we are in and i have used rustic slabs and marble inserts, and formed a carpet, pattern at the patio doors, they can be sealed against spills e.t.c.. and look the part, :D
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT

GTWD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby GTWD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:40 pm

tiles are the bees knees for nine out of ten people but are lass loves rugs we have that many think i/ll have to get a vacum don't know what the neighbors will think of the noise