Roof Beams

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
kookos
Tourist

Roof Beams

Postby kookos » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi, we have just had a quote for three roof beams to be replaced. They are the old type - like tree trunks. The price quoted is €1560 for 2 and an extra €480 if a third one is needed.

The roof is open to the room (about 8 foot sloping up to 15ft)and all that is required is having them cemented into the wall - - sounds a lot of money to me ?

Any ideas if that's too much

reforms are soooo difficult, when you live away....

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:59 am

Replacing just a part of a roof will always be more expensive per sq m than replacing it as a whole. The remainder of the roof will have to be supported, the roof covering stripped (which will take longer if you're trying to reuse tiles), the old beams taken out, the walls will undoubtedly need attention, there will be scaffolding needed and the new covering tied in with the old...
You need a major works licence (because these works are classed as structural) and there will be the architect's fees (unless this has already been paid for as part of a whole reform?)...
It may "sound" simple but...it's likely going to be 2 days work for 3 guys...
If you're not happy with the quote, than obtain an other(s) to compare. Are your builders English or Spanish, because there are some English rip-off-merchant builders in Estepa.

kookos
Tourist

Postby kookos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:16 am

The builders are Spanish, but I never get a proper quote - just a figure from our 'keyholder' she put the builder in place at the start and has applied for all licences with him. She apparently asks around and usually tells us that the quote(s) are competitive. We are soon to ask for a quote for strengthening the upper floor - which will be interesting.
You can tell me - I'm a counsellor

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 pm

Based on experience I would strongly reccomend that you go to the town Hall see the architect for yourself, as well as advising you what you need to do (type of licence etc)ours also advised us as to how much the works should cost ...................way off any builders quotes. Two builders gave us quotes of approx 15, 000 euros, the architect 3,000, we expect it to be about 5, 000, our first builder was none too keen to show us the licence, just said that it was itemised on our invoice and the was good enough, it was just to replace a front window so we let it go.

kookos
Tourist

Postby kookos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks Pilgrim, I didn't realise that the licence would state the type of work that needed to be carried out, I will check with the town hall - although my Spanish is not so good and my partner's is non-existent although he does try...bless!

Wish I had found this site before - I actually feel more confident now.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:27 pm

The cost of the licence is 6 per cent of the costs which I think comes from the "School of Architects" or something similar, I am sure Hilly Billy will have the correct name of the Institution. This time for the first time not only do we have the "licence" which is the bit of paper stamped by the bank to say we have paid, we also have some terms and conditions which were delivered by a man (I am sure he use to be a local policeman) driving a van with (Diputation ???spelling )de Sevilla - may be he has two jobs? perhaps it something to do with the new Mayor? who knows :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:30 pm

Compliance with local planning and works is monitored by the Policia Local - or "señorita handcuffs" as she is known here, so the delivery of the paperwork may well have been done by your local copper!
Building licences are a major source of income for ayuntamientos, hence their willingness to grant as many as possible, not necessarily worrying too much about what the Junta de Andalucia want, or the local plans and zones.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Our wooden rafters were replaced from the inside without stripping the roof. It was propped from the inside and the timbers removed and replaced one by one.
Grouser

kookos
Tourist

Postby kookos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:04 am

Yes, mine were done the same way.
Having given my 'girl' the go ahead for the builders, I have found out that they replaced from inside - without stripping any part of the roof, but haven't removed the old beams.

The charge was still €2040 for 3 beams.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Sounds way too much to me then. How long did it take them and how many working on it?
Grouser

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 pm

An up-to-date guide as to builders' labour costs: for work we have had done, the cost per day (8am - 3pm with 1/2 hour "breakfast" has been 120€ for the 'master builder' (daddy), and 70€ per day (each) for the labourers (sons).
The main difficulty we found was that they would not commit to how long the job would take, but said if he had to give a firm price, it could be high, as he would have to make sure he was on the side of safety.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:58 am

Further to this, why haven't they removed the old beams? Presumably they are shot, due to rot and insect infestation and as such are a hazard.
Grouser