Electric v Gas Water heaters

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
bkeo1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Electric v Gas Water heaters

Postby bkeo1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi All, I bought our apt a year and a half ago and it came complete with a 12/15 year old Gas water heater. This is in a small storage area out on the Terrace. I have 2 issues:

1. The water now coming out of the kitchen tap is flowing really slowly and is so slow it is not switching on the boiler. What can I do or should I have done to sort this?

2. I was also thinking of changing from Gas to Electrical water heating. It's a hassle buying bottles etc and electrical sounds more practical? Would that be the right thing to do??

Cheers!

Chris Williams
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Electric v Gas Water heaters

Postby Chris Williams » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Your gas water heater will be scaled up with cal, you need a plumber or gas engineer to descale the heat exchanger and flow valve for you, also check the shower spray for Cal build up. If you change over to electric you will still have to descale periodicly and it will be a storage type not instantaneous. Hope this helps, Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Chris Williams wrote:....... and it will be a storage type not instantaneous.Chris
Why?
I have an instantaneous water heater.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm

unscrew the end off the kitchen tap, clean the gunge out of the filter then screw the end back on.

Chris Williams
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chris Williams » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi Gerry,I am presuming the gas water heater refered to in the original post is a multipoint instantaneous gas water heater that supplies hot water to severil outlets,and only fires up when a tap or shower is turned on. I dont know of an equivalent in electric, what make is yours, Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 am

My instantaneous electric water heater just feeds one tap.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Trato Hecho
Resident

Postby Trato Hecho » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:39 am

Best check the amount of power available (KW's) in the apt before u go down that road,

u could take off the water where it goes into the heater and see what the pressure is like at that point and then on the outlet side to establish its clogged. Could be as Julian said at the tap end.

bkeo1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bkeo1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:05 am

Cheers Guys, thanks for that!

Will Try all! However, having read all it could be at the tap head as suggested as that's the only outlet from which the flow is poor. It's so poor that the Central Gas boiler is not kicking in!!

Take your points on the Electric v Gas Water Heater! looks like I'll stick with the Gas boiler (and the hassle of the replacement bottles!!).