borehole costs

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
sid114
Tourist

borehole costs

Postby sid114 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:00 pm

please could any one advise me on cost of a new borehole ,as mine is not deep enough (57m),i'ven been told (100m) required ,and of a contractor.House is near Paradas.

Many thanks Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: borehole costs

Postby oliveview01 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Welcome to the forum Sid, I have seen posters for bore hole drillers, I will keep a look out for them. Paradas is a lovely village, we are not that far from you. :wave:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 31, 2012 5:40 pm

This is a how long is a piece of string question.

The variable as you have identified is the depth that needs to be drilled to. You say yours "isn't deep enough" Why? has the water table been lowered by excessive use by your neighbours and thus new wells are generally 100Metres?

can't help with contractors but typical costs I can though they are based on five years ago.

Drilling is charged by the metre. A typical price for an 20cm bore hole is around 20 euros a metre. If they strike water then a liner is inserted at approx 30 euros a metre. Choice of two liners. Plastic or iron. Plastic is better if the water is to be used in the house. You still pay if they don't strike water.
Drilling is a very messy,noisy affair and often you are expected to provide water for lubricating the drilling bit. That could be a cu m per 20 m depth. Expect two or three large and very heavy lorries on your property for a day or two. I don't know if they could just drill your well deeper. That would be a question for the drilling compnay. However if it has run dry then drilling deeper would presumably be in the hope of hitting a deeper aquifer that just happened to be under the now dry one. It could just be that debris/rubbish has been put down the existing borehole and the pump (assuming there is one) is not immersed in water.

Chances of hitting water are improved by using a water diviner. The drilling company will do this as part of the service. You could also employ a local. Divining does work. You could try it yourself. Not everyone has the gift.

Now the question of permissions. You maybe lucky and have all the permissions in place for your existing well. Hydrographia need to give permission and that should be a formality unless you can take water from a river very nearby or intend to use industrial quantities of water(unlikely) . That involves some simple paperwork to show the location and why you need a well and the payment of a sum of money - I think about 90 euros, much later. The paperwork will eventually say how much water per year you can draw- the lowest level is 1700 cu metres. That is a lot! Many wells fail to deliver a fraction of that. The water you do use although metered is free for life. But don't quote me in thirty years.

If you hit water you are expected to have a mining licence, and here is hoping you do hit water!. This is obtained quite simply by visiting your Ayuntamiento and saying we are drilling a well of say 100 metres depth , costs are... and then you pay the standard fee for your area as per building works. One practice is to wait till you hit water and then rush off to apply for the licence. IIt is best to have the paperwork and permissions because at some stage the wiring to the well pump may need changing and your electric compnay can refuse to connect a supply - that has happened to our neighbour after having the well 29 years.

If you haven't got a serviceable pump then now(having got a well hopefully with abundant water) is a good time to have new plastic pipework, pump and wiring and control gear ( the latter will switch the pump off when the water isn't high enough to submerge the pump) Allow up to a 1000 euros for that depending on location and depth, diameter of hole, DIY or contractor and so on. Incidentally at the build juncture it might be an idea to erect a simple gantry so that you can remove the pump and attached pipe for maintenance periodically. It weighs a lot .

If your well is an official one part of the job you have to do is fit a homologated calibrated meter ( specific number on the meter body and it starts at zero). Expect to pay about 90 euros for one suitable for domestic use. DIY fitment near the well head is easy enough (plastic compression fittings) .

Hope that helps. Lot of scenarios there to save asking you questions. If you need more info PM me or ask here

olive

sid114
Tourist

Postby sid114 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Goodevening Olive thank you for your reply very helpful, just got to sort it all out.
Many thanks Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:32 pm

many bore holes being drilled in our locality for irrigation purposes.

Here are the 2017 prices for 18 cm bore hole.

18 euros a metre drilling

inserting an iron liner 52 euros a metre if you are lucky enough to hit water.

For anyone considering one and using solar panels, the technology has improved a lot and there are off the peg arrays readily available.