Fridge/freezer part

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Fridge/freezer part

Postby karandjon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I have a 3 year old american style Daewoo fridge freezer.

i did post about the noises from it (banging) and then its failure to cool.

I have finally gotten around to calling Daewoo out. 70 euro call out fee!

He said it was working fine but i told him it always do that til 6-8hr later it starts the banging/not cooling again.

Anyway, he said the vents at top of fridge freezer (when he was holding the door closer bit) werent working and the 'placa electronica' would need replacing at a cost of 240 euros plus another 70 euros to fit!

He said this is not usual in an appliance of only 3 years.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? We're hoping to move to the uk soon, so am wondering is it worth replacing now or use our old but perfectly functioning one til we move when we can buy a replica for 650pounds.

What would you guys do?

Thanks
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

telboy
Resident

Re: Fridge/freezer part

Postby telboy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 am

Its sounds a bit pricey to have it fixed. However, I'm no expert but we had a fridge freezer that also had problems cooling, we called out an electrician/plumber who told us that the problem was with the thermostat, he took the Brand/Model number and we ordered the thermostat online, they are usually cost about 20-40€ all types, it was fitted it in less than an hour by the electrician.

If the Daewoo engineer was charging you for repair plus a call-out fee then obviously your guarantee had run out.

Personally, I'd bin it and buy a new one in the UK, then at least the guarantee would cover your new purchase.

Terry

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Terry. Yes, it only had a 2 your guarantee and it is 3 years old.
May get my plumber to have a look. He was here yesterday but I didnt think of that!
Cheers
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Sorry karandjon when I said plumber I meant generically because are plumber is also an electrician plus a central heating engineer so probably he had the skills to detect and fix our fault. If your plumber hasn't the answer you may find someone suitable if you ask at your local tienda electro domestico.

Good Luck
Terry