building a tennis court

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
jemalis
Tourist

building a tennis court

Postby jemalis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:47 pm

HI! I'm new to this forum (my first post).
We are in the process of buying a farmhouse with plenty of land near Alora, and we want to build a tennis court, but are struggling to find out the following:-

the most cost efficient way of building the court
the correct type of surface for summer heat that doesn't involve too much maintenance
the sort of price we would be charged based on clearing part of an olive grove and levelling out the land.
how long it would take from dig to final playable court?

We have been told by the local council that we shouldn't have any problems getting planning permission (is it necessary to apply for this?)
I have searched this forum as much as I am able (newbie here), so if this information has already been posted, I apologise. I'd love someone's advice or any thoughts please. thank you!

jemalis
Tourist

Re: building a tennis court

Postby jemalis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Or even if you know someone who may know someone, any information would be great. Struggling to find any tennis court construction info online that's got any relevance to Spain and it's climate etc.
Thank you again...

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi jemalis,
Welcome to The Forum......... :D

Zofia:: Did you get your Tennis Court built :?: :?:

You may have to wait a few days before getting any replies.....pool experts we have plenty, but not seen any Tennis court posts........ :( apart from one........see above.

I would enquire in my local town as they have build courts outdoors, maybe your town has similar :?:

You can also check on your Planning permission when you're in town too.

Enjoy your olives.......... 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:10 am

You'll definitely need planning permission. You need permission for anything, whether small works or large. A tennis court will probably be a 'proyecto' needing an architect. There are spanish companies about on the net as I've seen info in passing.
Todos somos Lorca.

jemalis
Tourist

Postby jemalis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 am

thank you for your responses! I shall go on a local town investigative trip! One thing we have learnt though is not go clay as its very high maintenance, and ever though much cheaper than tarmac, a bit of a bore to upkeep. I'll keep you posted if we have any major breakthroughs (if your interested?)

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 am

Todos somos Lorca.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi Jermalis and welcome to the forum.
We don't have a tennis court but there is one near to where we live in a small group of houses which may be let out in summer, or may just be for an extended, extended family! Anyway, it is made of very compacted clay, looks much firmer and less slippy than the red brick clay courts you see on the telly. It goes very green and dingey :thumbdown: looking in the winter, and they rake it over several times a year to break up this slimy surface. A lot of camping grounds in nothern spain and southern france use a "multipurpose" sport surface which I think has some form of recycled rubbed compound in it, but I am sure that will be way too expensive for home use. Sorry, can't help further - are you going to be in residence all year round, cos playing tennis in the summer is just too darned hot for most of us! :lolno:
Cheers :wave:

jemalis
Tourist

Postby jemalis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 am

Thank you for your replies - very helpful.