Domestic water filter.

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ajtg1952
Resident

Domestic water filter.

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Should a basic cartridge filter go before or after the pump.

Thank you.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Domestic water filter.

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:34 pm

I don't think it makes much difference unless your feed water is really nasty. Ours is after the pump and I haven't changed it in 11 years as it seems to stay really clean.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 pm

I would suggest before the pump to stop the crud blocking up the pump.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 pm

The pump has run for many years without a filter. I get a build up of silt in some taps which need cleaning very two weeks or so. I just don't know if it's better to push or pull.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:16 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:Should a basic cartridge filter go before or after the pump.
It depends on what you are trying to achieve and where your water is sourced. A filter to protect the pump from sediment is the norm and filters after the pump to enhance water quality to the house ( odours, pesticides, calcium etc.) this would entail a series of filters to achieve this.
Gerry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:23 pm

I'm glad I only have an agricultural water supply if the rest of you are getting all this crud in your water.

Our, very cheap, water comes from a very deep well somewhere 15 km away. It seems 100% clean to me.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:49 am

We are on agricultural water and we get loads of crud in ours. We don't need to use the pump that is in our house as we have sufficient natural pressure (unless the water deposito runs very low) but our filters are before the pump to save it getting clogged up.

We have a filter to catch the 'bits' then a flask containing crystals which help soften the water, then it runs through the pump and into the house. The filter regularly fills up with what I presume to be lumps of cal and would have ruined our water heater and other appliances long ago if we hadn't have had it. Our neighbour who shares the water supply with us was forever cleaning out their washing machine and tap filters and they were only here a few weeks a year, so for us being here full time the filter is a must.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Certainly need a crud filter on my water supply.
I have installed a sand trap type filter in the incoming pipe before the meter.
The meter has a small mesh filter was often bunged up so the water supply rate gradually reduced to a trickle.
No problems now with the trap fitted. I empty it occasionally.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BusterG
Tourist

Postby BusterG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Hello all.
I am in need of recommendations for which filters to use.
Our domestic pipes keep getting clogged and causing issues with the boiler.
Looking for ones that are easy to install and maintain.

I will look to install it before the pump if possible although the pump seems to keep going regardless of the gunk in the house pipes.
Thanks.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:04 pm

If you go into the Ferreteria in Colmenar they have a very good range, singles, double and triples. I fitted a single just to remove silt but I fitted a double for a friend, silt and odour.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Attached is a photo of the filter I used.
Don't know it's correct name but I bought it in Leroy Merlin in the Garden/ irrigation section.
It cured my problem of crud bunging up the water meter and pipework.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:15 pm

We don't really see the filter itself from the picture Gerryh posted but I would guess it is most likely a fine metal mesh filter which I would put after the pump due to possible pressure issues. However, you definately want to put a heavier sand and organic residue filter before the pump if you can, preferably something you can clean out very easily.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:37 am

The filter is a fine mesh filter. Just unscrew the angled bowl and clean out the crud.
It is fitted before everything, meter, pump, etc. as stated in my earlier post.
Works perfectly well for me. No crud blockages anywhere now in my water system.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:16 am

We have this type
http://www.depuragua.com/es/descalcific ... 00404.html

but it has a plastic sieve that sits inside it which catches all the sand-like cal. We can see it filling up and so know when to empty it. I'm sure I've seen them at the local ferreteria for sale.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:25 am

That last type (blue top, clear plastic case) are excellent, and a good price at plumbers' merchants. Can be 5 times that price elsewhere!

Renewable 'string' filter element inside (about €10, or less). For domestic water filtration, go for a 5-micron filter element. Best fitted with an isolation tap either side, so internals can be changed without shutting off main supply. A dedicated plastic ring spanner is available for unscrewing the filter bowl.

We have one on our deposito pump (element changed yearly), and additional ones for dishwasher and washing machine.
Chris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:09 am

Our water also come from a well way over the mountains somewhere so contains a fair bit of grit which used to cause problems with the taps and deposito ball valve.

We use a bunch of those blue/clear filters. On the basis that as the filter gets clogged it will slow down the water flow I put them in the supply pipe into the deposito as the flow rate isn't important as long as it stays full. Two of them one a 5 micron and then 1 micron filter. If you buy these cartridges of ebay they are a lot cheaper than 10 euros, especially if you by 5 or 10 or more and share with your friends.

I have two more of these filters after the pump, one a cal cartridge and the other carbon to get out impurities.

Very low maintenance as I change the crud filters when you can see they are clogged, generally 3 months or so, the carbon I change every 3 months and the cal cartridge when it needs renewal.

Maybe overkill but I also have one of those magnetic gadgets wrapped around the pipe. Well they were only about 6 quid from Maplin a few years ago.

After all this we get a clean, (pretty) chemical free, cal free water coming out of the taps, and bubble bath goes crazy bubbles now.

Another big advantage of having one of these cartridge filters after the pump rather then in fron t of individual appliances is that when I change the carbon filter as part of the procedure fill the bowl with Descal. Turn on the hot tap, then apply power back to the pump. This pushes the descal into our water heater and flushes out the internal pipes. Our Junkers is 8 or 9 years old now. Never gone wrong and works like a charm every time.
Regards

Bob

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:13 am

Sounding good, Bob.
We have one after the pump*, and one each for dishwasher/fridge and washing machine.

* Tried one on the suction side of the deposito pump, but any air accumulating in it could "de-prime" the pump. Placing it after the pump sorted that issue, with any microscopic air being flushed away by good pump pressure.
Chris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:27 am

That was the other reason for not fitting anything between the deposito output and the pump input.. Took some creative plumbing to fit it all in, pipework looks like a bit of modern art.
Regards

Bob

PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PavAmber » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Very interested in all this as we get a lot of cal in our supply. I come under the "practical numpty" category so don't fancy trying to fit myself. Has anyone used a plumber Alcaucin way to do this? I am thinking of the blue top transparent ones.

Thanks

mijasdavid
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasdavid » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks for the info.
Last edited by mijasdavid on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.