wintering a pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Sandramay
Resident

wintering a pool

Postby Sandramay » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm asking this question for my daughter. She has recently moved into a villa with a pool. As a non resident I empty my pool for the winter. What winter care for a pool would folk recommend? The pump was running 24/7 ! We've reduced that to one hour twice a day........... is that sufficient? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. PS Happy New Year everyone :wave:
Sandramay

Martin Page
Resident

Re: wintering a pool

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:29 pm

You can spend unlimited amounts of money on over wintering ... but most locals, and myself, if you don't want to use it - just 'close' the multivalve, and switch everything off and do nothing. If you have a cover, that's great but not essential.

You can recover it in a matter of days when its time.
Remove the dead dogs and tree branches and vacuum the bottom to waste Chlorine shock and sweep the sides in the first day.
Second day ... Vacuum the bottom and sweep the walls again and Bleach/power wash the copings. Leave the pump on over night
Third day - Vacuum and sweep and then adjust your pH and set your pump timer to its usual setting.

Sorted

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Martin,
If that is all you have to do you are one lucky boy, mine takes about three weeks to recover.
This year I am keeping more or less on top of it through the winter to keep the work down.
I find they are all different, My neighbour, with the same water supply, always has to raise his ph, I always have to lower mine.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Then my neighbours and I are lucky Lyric . When in Spain ... do as the Spaniards do
I usually have to lower my pH after over wintering, since most of the 'dust' is limestone based round here despite the acid produced from the decomposition of leaves.

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:46 am

I think it may depend on what sort of pool you have in terms of the lining. Our pool is grouted and I am convinced that on the few occasions that we have left the pool alone that the grout takes a hit with a degree of staining. I had thought this would just improve over time with the chlorine but I am sure it hasn't completely. So, we put the cover on keep the pool running for just an hour a day and monitor the pH and chlorine which appears, without the sun and exposure, to remain relatively consistent with just minor adjustments.

Probe

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:41 am

Main point is never empty it. In-ground pools need the pressure of the water on the walls to stop them trying to collapse inwards.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:01 am

... or float, out of the ground

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Mmmm, I've emptied my pool every winter for fourteen years, no probs. (so far) My neighbour uses the water for his land, he pumps it into his agricultural reserve, so it's put to good use.
Cleaning and filling the pool ready for the Summer is a fairly simple task and does not need loads of chemicals. My main concern is not falling into the empty hole :think:
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:44 pm

The dangers of emptying a pool only apply to a truly in-ground pool in fairly flat ground where there is the possibility that the ground water table can come up fairly close to the top of the pool.

If you build it on the side of a hill, then a lot of it is actually above ground and the water table is very unlikely to be a problem. My pool is built like that and half of it at least, is above ground.

I had a liner pool in the UK and when we first bought the house I was told to drop the level a couple of feet in the winter. Big mistake, next morning the pool liner had inverted and was floating on the top of the pool! There was an inspection hole by the side of the pool and the water table, in winter, was level with the top of the pool.

Here in Spain, I don't cover it and just run the pump for 15 minutes a day to keep it stirred up a bit. A chlorine tablet or two in a floating dispenser last for weeks and the water is crystal clear. The only problem is the leaves, but I just collect them every so often with a pool net.

Sid

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:57 pm

El Cid wrote:Here in Spain, I don't cover it and just run the pump for 15 minutes a day to keep it stirred up a bit. A chlorine tablet or two in a floating dispenser last for weeks and the water is crystal clear. The only problem is the leaves, but I just collect them every so often with a pool net.
Sid
[/quote]

I'll let my daughter know Sid, your pool is to be envied.
Sandramay