Leak detection

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Leak detection

Postby jaycecampo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 pm

We live in the campo near Pizarra.
Alongside our house is our neighbours track and there is a leak under this track as smelly water is appearing on our land in several places, our land is lower than the track.
Our neighbour doesn't think it's her problem but has given us permission to investigate on her track.
Does anyone know a company that can locate leaks. It isn't mains water as we don't have any ! it does smell a bit like sewerage. Her septic tank is about 150 meters above this track and a bit to the right. Could this be causing a problem ?
Thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leak detection

Postby Enrique » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

Hi jaycecampo,
"Her septic tank is about 150 meters above this track and a bit to the right. Could this be causing a problem"

Yes

Is it a proper septic tank system or a Black Hole........ :?:

Google septic tank and see how they work. Sounds like Her system isn't working correctly.

The fluids from both these systems have to go somewhere and they can flow down hill, and not straight down.

"water" can flow under the land and seep out in various places.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:01 pm

Septic tanks are always potentially problematic, regardless how proper they are. The first step, that is the tank, should not be a problem per say, but it can become a problem if they flush plenty of toilet paper and does not flush it regularly.

The second step, if there is one, is the distribution field which should be sloped gently away from the resident area far away from any well. This can be clogged by plants if anything bigger than a weed is growing on top of it.

Personally, I would never build a distribution system higher than the lowest point on a nearby track, but again, I am not from around here.

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:08 am

Thank you. She has a proper septic tank which must be the problem. Will have to convince her of this. Would one of these leak detection companies be of any help ?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:12 am

my opinion is that the tank is likely be ok but even after the tank does its work the effluent coming from the tank needs to be dispersed into the soil in the general area around the sceptic tank.
you are saying the grade of the ground very steep so it is likely not enough soil cover to absolve effluent and when it hits the rock it flows to your property.
personally I think it be better to ask the owner of other property to only put the effluent that is absolutely necessary to the tank and avoid putting roof water and what may be coming off the ground area around the house to the tank.
I think if the tank is properly installed there may not be that much you can do so thread carefully.

I remember 20 years ago I had a friend who worked for environment service, he was called out to a house where children were being sick in a house.
it turned that their own sceptic tank was contaminating their own bored weak that was a few hundred feet down..

good luck

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:51 am

A follow up on my previous post.
We employed a leak detection company with some very fancy equipment.....and a large bill, 200 euros. He indicated that my neighbour may have a broken pipe from her house to her septic tank and the water is seeping through her land to ours, if you remember our land is lower than hers. At a certain point it sounded like a water full. Although she doesn't live there all the time, her septic tank was almost empty. Now, we are going to confront her with this report, but think she will deny all responsibility.....if so what is our next move ? Do we involve the local council or make a denuncia. This of course is if all else fails.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:25 pm

"may have a broken pipe from her house to her septic tank and the water is seeping through her land to ours"
I think it be best not use this report as "may have" means just that... its very easy to discover if there is a leak but only if your neighbour agrees to work with you...