Help! my elec meter has been changed

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Help! my elec meter has been changed

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Iberdrola have changed my elec. meter for a digital one. Problem is the mains fuse is inside the meter and is set at 3kw, whereas before I had a much larger KW fuse in my garage.

I have a large property which requires much more power but they say takes 3 weeks to upgrade and will we done by their nominated contractor who fortunately is a good friend and does all elec work at my house.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way this KW can be increased now. I applied online so all is in hand. My Spanish is poor and apart from crying or begging on bended knees don't know what to say to my electrician. My family with little kids and aged grandma arrives on Saturday, I am not in Spain.

TIA
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Help! my elec meter has been changed

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Bongtrees,
Don't panic.....3Kw is ok until you get upgraded..........just tell then not to put everything on at once.
We live with 3Kw no problem, have the usual stuff washing machine , dishwasher, electric water heater for kitchen and fridge/freeze.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 pm

I think if you go to electric company and explain the situation and pay the fee for the new tariff they may give you a break, I am assuming on the basis your electrics are ok considering your friend electrician he will be able to talk to them, he is your only chance of a quick temporary solution.
It is possible to "survive" on 3kw... I think likely you have 3.45kw... what I mean is you will have no air-con and you will need to know what you can have on/and not have on to make it work.. it is tricky and I can help with the numbers but as I say it needs a little thought... but I am not very smart and I can do...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Well a kettle is 2kw so 3 is easy to exceed. Kettle plus hot water boiler would do it. As would 2 hair dryers.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Tongue in cheek..........Post

Kettle ..Gas, Hot water ...Gas, hair dryer ..towel

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.