Cooker plug/wiring?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
lilgoff

Cooker plug/wiring?

Postby lilgoff » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:37 am

Hi we have just moved to a new place here in lovely sunny spain:) we are renovating the kitchen and there is an old electric oven and ceramic hob. It has no plugs and is no where near any sockets!? Is there any safe way to check if it works? We have heard some 'cautionary ' tales about old spanish wiring and don't want to damage our selves or the new house! :crazy:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cooker plug/wiring?

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:57 am

Hi lilgof,
Welcome to The Forum............. :D

Have a good look over Unit and get details from the ID plate and find out as much detail, ie Make /model ,electrical rating

What is your current contracted potencia.......... Example 3.3Kw, 8.5Kw etc.
You should have an ICP Trip that is set to your Contracted supply rating, so if you pull more that that it will trip out.

Depending where you are, its best in Spain to spread your Utilities , ie if the power goes out you can still make a cuppa on the Gas rig................ :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:15 pm

If you look behind the cooker, you will probably find a heavy cable coming straight out of the wall with screw connectors connecting it to the oven wiring. The only way you can disconnect it is to close the relevant circuit breaker in the control box - it should have a dedicated circuit breaker

Sid

lilgoff

Postby lilgoff » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:47 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies, I will find out more info about it and our electricity supply:) to be honest i would be happy if i could sell both and get gas oven and top as i prefer it!:)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:00 pm

You´ll have 4 screws on the "frame" of the cooker. open the door and you will see them. take them out, then pull the cooker forwards. it will slide out of the cupboard. if it has "knobs" on the front, then when you slide it forwards by about 15cm you´ll have to disconnect the control arms, and the cable to the hob. should be one screw on each arm, and a push fit clip on the cable.

when you pull the oven out, you´ll see the cable running to the wall to a "chocolate block" connector. If you havent already, now is the time to turn off the 25a breaker that controls power to the cooker.

while im writing this.. im thinking.. why dont you just try and turn it on? and see if it works... :lol:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.