Business Names

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
kevjohn
Tourist

Business Names

Postby kevjohn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi All, :wave:

I'm appealing to your creative minds!

We are moving to Malaga later this year and plan to start our own maintenance and repairs business, but cant for the life of me think of a catchy name

I've thought of the obvious ones like Casa Care, or Costa property repairs and maintenance etc, but in each case someone already has the name!

Frustrating :crazy: , as i read on line if you start you own company, no one else can have the same name, is that true? I'm sure ive seen a million places all with the names costa in front!

Any hoos, i really hope some one has an idea, i was hoping to have a Spanish theme to the name, but adding Repairs, or maintenance to it so all the ex pats see it too.

I'm skilled in many areas including Joinery, plastering, tiling, electrics, plumbing, decorating etc, but i don't like the handyman title though.

Tough challenge? Anyone fancy a go?

Many thanks for reading this :thumbup:

Kevin

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Business Names

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:31 pm

How about:

" Yet Another Costa Casa Maintenance Company"

:thumbup:
Hardworking resident !!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:01 pm

What about,

I'm Scouse and i'll mend your house.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi Welcome to the forum.

I think the two replies you have had are saying the market is awash with other companies competing for business. Times are hard here and the expat market is shrinking. There are plenty of out of work Spaniards also ready to be competing for work in this sector.

Have you done your homework and sussed out ares to live and work in? How much you will have to pay each month in the way of autonomos (like national insurance ) regardless of whether you have any work each month? The figure is about 280 euros a month.

Are your skills transferable? Plumbing is different here. Electrics are too. Plastering? How are you with yeso?

Its a big step and doomed if you haven't done your research.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi Olive
Most of this has already been discussed on Kevin other post viewtopic.php?t=36446 where the comments don't seem to have put him off.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Thanks gerry. Hadnt seen that.

Not much from theoriginal poster!

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:01 am

Yeah thanks,
Plenty of negative comments for me to ponder on, regardless I'm still going to try, after all I'm sure it wasn't a walk in the park when all of you made the jump, plus if I listened to negativity all my life, I wouldn't do anything and nothing would change.
I'm a resourceful chap, honest hardworking and reliable, oh and from the customer service I've experienced on my many trips to Spain, I'm thinking that's half the battle.
I'm under no illusions of opening my little business and taking over the world!
Just enough for me and my family to have a simple life in the sun.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:33 am

kevjohn wrote:Yeah thanks,
Plenty of negative comments for me to ponder on, regardless I'm still going to try, after all I'm sure it wasn't a walk in the park when all of you made the jump, plus if I listened to negativity all my life, I wouldn't do anything and nothing would change.
The comments were realistic Kevin. A lot of us have lived here for many years so can see how people are now struggling to find work. Also, I think that a good number moved here with pensions in place. Or, like us, although only in our early 40s we had a modest unearned income from property rental so didn't have to work to live here, and didn't have a family to support. We are not trying to be negative but just telling it like it is.

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 am

Much appreciated, mortgages here will be sorted before we go meaning any rent we pay in Spain will be subsidized, so a low level of work will still be needed, but a considerable amount of pressure will be eased, I have done my homework, hope it will be enough, and we have plans in place for at least the first 12 months. So it can't be all doom and gloom out there , we will make it work one way or another

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi Kevjohn. Comments are realistic but you are going anyway so good luck. It would all depend on where you are going and how far you are prepared to travel for work. Although the construction and maintenance industry is in the doldrums, I keep reading on forums about folk who are having difficulty finding reliable workers to do work for them. Especially people who have bought holiday homes which need a lot of work done to them and they are finding it difficult organising things from Britain, Scandinavia etc. Also needing people who know the permit/permissions rules. Each area seems to have different and changing rules.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 pm

I think you have to have 5 posts to send and rceive PMs

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm

I have a bit of knowledge? in this area... names that attract attention often spell both ways just a few examples "aviva"... toyot(a) there are loads more....
A name like "casac" dressed up may be worth considering with a hammer, toolbox etc to help with message....

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:43 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks wollie, thanks Maureen
Nothing ventured nothing gained

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:00 pm

There are many reasons why people leave sunny countries to seek work in the UK: free health care, job opportunities, well-regulated employment, much higher potential earnings...
I cannot see a single reason why any young person should do the reverse just to get an expensive suntan.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for your input peter,
But For me it's not all about mega money, fast cars and the gigantic rat race that is the uk, I'm looking for quality, a better place to live, climate, health, people, the place itself.
So I'm going to take my chance and work for it while I'm young enough not to regret it

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Kevjohn, tried to send youu pm but don't think I managed it. Let me know if you got it

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks Maureen , nothing is showing!
Was it you that said earlier I must make 5 posts before I can receive pms?
Seems a bit strange, wonder if an admin could help?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Go for it Kev. Whats the worst case scenario? You go back a little lighter in the pocket but you will have done what most people only dream about. If your in a Brit area you may get work and I am not saying its right but most Brits pay cash.

Depending on your life style you can live in Spain very cheaply.

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Thanks costakid much appreciated

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Kevin..i can't advise and nor would i because i'm not living in Spain and i do not know the reality of what it's like for tradesmen,,but what i do know is that there are lots of good tradesmen out of work..Having said that it was the same for my hubby here in the Uk..He came here without language knowledge..he could not even find a job as a cleaner..to cut a very long story short he has owned his own building business for over 33 yrs and has never looked back..if there is one word of advice,,you have to work hard..i mean very hard as hubby did in order to gain recognition and respect...if you have the staying power and determination then you will succeed..