Business Names

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Business Names

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:46 pm

What's more is he provided my son with a job straight from school and son is now the best stone builder in the uk..A guy called at our house in Spain to dig out some foundations and saw my sons work..he said he had not seen anything like it..worked all over Andalucia and Marbella etc ...in the early days we had nothing..still trying to make a living as you do...but i'm so proud of them both..

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks Pamela I've been in similar situations before in Australia, I know how tough it can be, I am prepared and have worked hard all my life, nothing comes easily, glad to hear a bit of success too, bien hecho!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Kevin...good for you...you have a strong attitude..just keep that up..if it all looks bleak then keep going... years ago when i was at the end of my tether a friend of mine said it will all come right in the end..i have never forgotten her words and i've used them on several occasions...patience which i have none of haha and time which we all have ...good luck :) :thumbup:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:32 pm

Hello K-J,
Well you've proved that you have Rhino Skin, so you've passed your first qualification for working in Spain. :thumbup:

Most of the replies are genuine and only trying to warn you that it is very hard being self-employed in Spain, however if you are very hard-working and resilient I would say that you have already got a chance and if you don't give it a 'go' you will probably keep saying 'I wish I'd given it a chance'!.

We moved to Spain permanently in 1989 and started a business, it was during a recession but I used that to negotiate better prices etc and it worked quite well.
We really did have to work very hard and rarely got a 'day off', but we enjoyed it and just got on with it until we had 'turned the corner',and despite the fact that we have had some difficult times both my wife and I are glad that we made the move.
I would suggest that you have to be ready to adapt and change and you might come out as an electrician but end up trimming poodles for a living .. :lol:

With regard to business names, as far as I'm aware you can use any name that isn't registered as an SL or Public company or doesn't infringe copyright names like 'Mickey Mouse '...having said that I've come across many Mickey Mouse outfits in my life-time. :)
May I suggest that you choose a name that will stay with you even if you change type or style of business, and keep it simple and easy to pronounce, as you really want to attract business with the local Spanish people ---there are more of them than Brit Expats.!
For instance Brits call Lidl -Liddle and Spanish people call it Leedle, and it can become quite confusing.
I recently passed a van on the motorway which had the name 'The Final Solution' emblazoned on it...not a well thought out name I would suggest?.

On your arrival in Spain you will have to face apathy, resentment, jealousy ..I could go on...but blank it and just do your own thing.....

If I can assist you with any advice etc.. please feel free to contact me...however I don't give loans or marriage guidance advice... :wave:
Good Luck,
Regards Gordon...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:53 pm

Good honest post Benidorm...and yes you are right about resentment, jealously etc...same obstacles hubby encountered here in the Uk for many years but as you have said just get on and blank it..

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:03 pm

"For instance Brits call Lidl -Liddle"
Only the ignorant ones....the same ones that say "Benalmedeeeena" Spanish pronunciation is so straightforward there is no excuse after one hour's study.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Fellow Scouser here Kevin. If you have a good attitude (like I think you have), a nice way about you and don't suck in through your teeth when a customer explains what he wants doing then you'll do well.

If you are good at what you do and couple it with the above then word of mouth alone will get you off to a good start.

Be humble too as again I think you will be. We ask for jobs to be done sometimes at our holiday gaff, not because I can't do it but because we wouldn't have the time or inclination. An arrogant "unhumble" bloke turning up and making you feel you are beholding to them is off putting and gets an instant sod off from me.

Proper good guys are hard to find when you need them.
All the best with it mate.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Loved Devils Advocate's sod off manner...don't blame him..there are so many gobby know it all's and know nothing self important people who try to pull the wool and anything else over your eyes...problem is a lot of people fall for it and sadly end up paying so much more in both money and bad workmanship...

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:25 am

Thanks Benidorm, I've been around the block a few times and experienced my fair share of racism in other parts of the world and still managed smile and get on with the job. They were humbling experiences and taught me to concentrate on the people that really matter, go the extra mile type of thing to build my reputation rather than my bank account.
Hi Devil, thanks mate, always know no matter where in the world you go, there will always be warm encouraging words from a scouser, in time you'll see my name at the top of the good guy list haha, when you search for electric poodle trimmers :lol:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:49 am

:thumbup: :lol:

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:25 am

hahaha

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:10 pm

peteroldracer wrote:"For instance Brits call Lidl -Liddle"
Only the ignorant ones....
Just to set the record straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4-fCHStgAo

So that's official - it's "Leedle", as in Leeverpool!! :lol:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: love the video Miro!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 am

Pamela1...Thanks..and I can well imagine the sort of aggro your husband had to put up with !

Peter...I wouldn't call someone 'ignorant' just because of a different way of pronouncing a word.

Miro...Great video and confirmed what I stated !!!

Kevjohn,
And 'by the way'..I am a 'Merseysider ',..... and Keep Smiling !

Regards,
Gordon.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:49 am

Gordon...."ignorant
ˈɪɡn(ə)r(ə)nt/
adjective
1.lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
synonyms: uneducated, unknowledgeable, untaught, unschooled, untutored, untrained, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, unread, uninformed, unenlightened, unscholarly, unqualified, benighted, backward
2.informal
discourteous or rude.
synonyms: rude, impolite, ill-mannered, bad-mannered, unmannerly, ungracious, discourteous, insensitive, uncivil, ill-humoured, surly, sullen"

Why should a word not be used when it is the appropriate one?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:15 am

Peter,
I fully agree with your reply, however I'm a very tolerant and understanding person and would never 'look down' on a person for incorrect usage of a word.
I actually inwardly 'cringe' when I hear or see bad spelling or bad pronunciation,but I wouldn't criticise anyone for it, however I'm dyslexic and know that I make many mistakes and there are far more bad and horrific things happening around the world for me to worry about minor issues...

And May I wish you a very pleasant and noise-free weekend ... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:19 am

I still get shouted at for calling Nestles Nestles, when I'm told it should be Nestlay, knackers to it I say :P

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:53 am

D'Advo,
I have to admit that I still use the same pronunciation for Nestles as you, and I also can't get used to calling Nugget (Nougat) ...Newgar.. :oops:

Perhaps it's a Scouse thing ?.

Regards,
Gordon.
Ps. Do you like my up-market change of your name ?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:06 am

Since I hail from London, & Mrs Miro is a Scouser, we've found an unlikely teacher from Korea invaluable in helping us understand our dialectal differences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2fSaSR6elQ
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:11 am

Well watch this Lidl produced advert from 44 seconds to see how it's pronounced :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HizG4eev8k

Beni, Nugget is correct!! And it's a lolly ice not an iced lolly :mrgreen: