Large Community Pool - Clarification Needed Please

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Large Community Pool - Clarification Needed Please

Postby championc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:36 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand as to where we stand officially with our pool. We are getting contradictory information

The pool is over 200m2 and was built in about 2004 (so after the 23/1999 regulations). It is about 40m long in total. The pool has a very gradual slope over the whole length of the pool, from little more than ankle deep at one end, down to over 2m at the other end. The pool is fenced all the way around, and has an electronic turnstile gate for controlled access (between certain hours and to only those who have paid their community fees)

1. Do we now need to build a dividing wall in the pool to make a separated babies section or can we keep the current structure and make clear signings of the depths along the length of the pool. Some say we need to build a new pool for babies and install it's own pump and filtration, while others say that the shallow end is part of the pool in total, and that's the way it is, and can stay as such.

2. We have a lifeguard over the summer months - from mid-June to mid-September. Is this sufficient or must we have one any time someone is in the pool ? During the off-season, could we block off access to part of the pool to reduce it's size below 200m2 ? It's really not practical to have a lifeguard for the possibility of one person per week suddenly deciding to have a dip at this time of year.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Parilla
Resident

Re: Large Community Pool - Clarification Needed Please

Postby Parilla » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:51 am

Go to www. angloinfo.com/costa-del-sol and search "swimming pool regulations".

Parilla

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:07 am

Sorry, should have added that this is just an outline of the regulations. The full version, as you can imagine, runs to many pages.

Parilla

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re the lifeguard. . . . . . Our community employ one for July & August only. Our administrator is a solicitor and is happy with this. But our pool and community are smaller than yours (I'm guessing) as we have 80 apartments.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:30 pm

My late hubby was on the committee of a timeshare resort on CDS, & I remember him telling me that they had to build a new childrens pool as the filtration system had to be completely separate from the adult pool
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:38 pm

I know it's 100% correct that IF you have a separate kids pool, it must have it's own Pump and Filter. My issue is with the IF part - as to whether we are actually required to build a separate pool. It would be cheaper to dig the shallow section of the pool to make it deeper if that was the case, to take it out of the equation.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Our community employed a "pool architect". The amount of changes needed was mind blowing. There are requirements about the number of showers (shower heads) and also buffers to stop someone (really skinny person) getting between the ladders & the wall ! Then there was the number of ladders needed . . . . you really couldn't make it up. Our community went over budget on the pool refurb but as it's the center of the place and so important it had to be done. You are correct with the kids pool needing a seperate filter that was more money.

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:28 pm

But I'm still stuck as to whether we now MUST build a separate kids pool. All I seem to see is that IF we build a separate pool, then it needs it's own Filter and Pump - but nothing about the obligation to build a separate pool in the first place.

Can anyone clarify this. And is there an obligation to have a lifeguard 365 days a year ?

We have the fences, signs, showers etc

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:41 am

Are you on the community committee ? Employ a professional pool acrchitect and sleep easy at night. The 365 pool guard would be very expensive.

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:25 am

I am on the committee. Do we really need an architect to get what should be a straight forward answer to a straight forward question ?

Not only would a lifeguard be extensive, but would be alone at the pool the majority of the time from October to May. It just doesn't seem workable outside of the core high season.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:54 am

A Community has no obligation to provide a separate pool for children, it is entirely down to residents to decide if they wish to. If one is provided then it has to have separate filtration/pumping, and be sited apart from the main pool.

If over 200m2 surface area, whenever the pool is open for use, a lifeguard must be present - if the pool is open all hours all year, then a guard is needed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If no lifeguard, the access to the pool area (gate,door etc) has to be locked.

Parilla

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Many thanks,

That's exactly the way I was reading and understanding the rules.

My brother just found the following, which may assist others in the future
http://www.mijas.es/portal/files/adjunt ... alucia.pdf