Shower Tips?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Unicorn
Resident

Shower Tips?

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:36 pm

I have a look alike slate shower base in a walk in shower. The water drips a bit after a shower and the hard water leaves white staining on a small part of the base. It does clean off but eventually may not.

I thought of just putting a bit of oil or similar on the bit of base ( it is not where you stand)

Any better tips?

As ever, thanks in advance!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Shower Tips?

Postby olive » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Funnily enough we were talking about the same problem , albeit with non slip tiles, only this morning. I used copious amounts of Viakal a couple of days ago and elbow grease and a green wash up spong. Hardly made a difference.

next step might be to use some Acid mildy diluted but I am concerned about the grout!

Our staining is where the one directional fall leaves a puddle near the outflow to evaporate.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Great minds, and all that Olive!
I can still get the staining off but I'll try some oil to rebuff the water maybe.
Still considering the options.......

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:07 pm

From Lakeland in the UK - "Gel-Kilrock". Fabulous goo for clearing cal deposits.

Parilla

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Cleaning Vinegar ? works in kettles and stuff

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:35 pm

What is 'cleaning' vinegar Lyric, please?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Well it's vinegar that is a little stronger than regular, has no colour, is cheap and lives with the cleaning materials in Mucky Donna's.
It is not as aggressive as Aqua Fuerte and since we discovered it we use it a lot for getting rid of cal deposits, things like tap sprinklers, kettles, coffee makers. I last used it on the garden sprinklers which has bunged up.
It's worth a Euro to try innit.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks!

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:17 pm

Really got the bit between my teeth now.
Just unblocked the kitchen sink with ancient bicarbonate of soda (left here by my father ages ago - he had it for his indigestion!) so I'm off to Mercadona to restock with that and the cleaning vineger.

I'm on a roll.......

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 pm

If the 'slate' has a non-glossy finish, clean it up one more time, and when thoroughly dry give it a coat of silicone "impermeabilizaton" fluid. It is used to stop water penetrating stonework, and makes rain roll off in globules. Come to think of it, good old Rain-Ex (used on car windscreens) does the same job.
Either of those should make it much easier to remove cal, simply because there will be less residual water.
Chris

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi Torre

It is an acrylic lookey-likey slate. You can see them on the site where I bought it called Trato Barato (excellent prices, by the way!) It is also the highest non slip one you can get so would the silicone change that? Or if I just did it in the 6 square inches where this happens would that stick out like a sore thumb?
I was originally thinking just oil, olive (not you Olive!) or similar.....

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:25 pm

We keep one of those hand wiper blades in the shower and use it to squeegee the sprayed water off down the drain, walls and floor. The small residue seems to dry without leaving the film of cal.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:57 am

Silicone protector - You could always try a small section of the floor, and see how it behaves.

Squeegee blade - We do the same, on the tiled show base and glass shower screen. It leaves no cal.
Showerhead dripping, though, is another matter.
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 am

"Showerhead dripping, though, is another matter."
Turn the thing off properly?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:15 am

We've also got 'slate' tiles on the wetroom floor and they do get a bit marked but I always use a floor squeegy after a shower to try to get all the water off them. I have had to use Cif and a pan scrubber at times though.

We have a overhead rain shower, plus a normal shower head on a rail in ours, but the overhead one now has started to drip cold drops of water whilst you are using the other shower head. There is a tap to switch between the showers but not sure where the problem is. It is all installed integrally and you cannot really get to any of it easily.

We didn't fit the bathroom but it's style over practicality and we want to replace our sink taps but the way they have been fitted means that you can no longer access their fittings underneath, which is proving to be a pain. We don't really like anything to do with water pipes etc as they invariably leak whenever we've tried to fix anything.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 pm

There should be stopcocks in each room where there are taps, cisterns etc, so you can turn off the supply at the point nearest the drip.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Wicksey wrote:We've also got 'slate' tiles on the wetroom floor and they do get a bit marked but I always use a floor squeegy after a shower to try to get all the water off them. I have had to use Cif and a pan scrubber at times though.

We have a overhead rain shower, plus a normal shower head on a rail in ours, but the overhead one now has started to drip cold drops of water whilst you are using the other shower head. There is a tap to switch between the showers but not sure where the problem is. It is all installed integrally and you cannot really get to any of it easily.

We didn't fit the bathroom but it's style over practicality and we want to replace our sink taps but the way they have been fitted means that you can no longer access their fittings underneath, which is proving to be a pain. We don't really like anything to do with water pipes etc as they invariably leak whenever we've tried to fix anything.
Wicksey the problem of the overhead rain shower dripping is probably due to a faulty cartridge unit in the diverter valve in the tap that you use to select whichever shower head. Normally a very quick and easy replacement without having to disassemble much, just the valve handle and trim pieces and it can be wound out and replaced.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 pm

http://www.notjusttaps.co.uk/range-repl ... ridges.htm
Just make sure you have found and turned off those stopcocks!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:14 am

That site is not a lot of help to us living in Spain who, undoubtedly, have Spanish taps in our houses.
The site says "Our valves fit most makes of taps sold in the UK, if they don't you can return them for a full refund"
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:21 am

It is of use if the poster turns off the stopcock, removes the filter/cartridge whatever and uses the website to identify what they need. They can then put the assembly back and use the illustration on a pad or smartphone to help whilst shopping? Firgive me for trying!