Mains Natural Gas

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Parilla
Resident

Mains Natural Gas

Postby Parilla » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Does anybody have any experience of the company Gas Natural Fenosa (aka Gas Natural Andalusia), who are installing networks for mains supply of natural gas in some areas of Andalucia ?

Parilla

Unicorn
Resident

Re: Mains Natural Gas

Postby Unicorn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:18 pm

We have gas via Fenosa.

What sort of experience are you after?

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:20 am

I've just read this from another thread.......
There's a list available here of all the towns and cities in Andalucia where natural gas was available as at the end of 2013
....and I'm amazed 'cos the usual rumour mill had not picked up on this where I was living, but now I've moved - to a place that supposedly has had natural gas since 2003 - I can find absolutely no visible evidence of it! I must ask around, although I suspect if available, some cartel will keep it non-competitive with (expensive) electricity!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:37 am

Hi Unicorn,

Mainly whether or not you had any problems with your appliances working after the change.

In our urbanisation we have combi boilers, about 12 years old, providing instant hot water and central heating through radiators, and the system works fine. Repsol provide the gas from a large central storage tank, but are passing us over to Fenosa who are going to pipe natural gas into us from a mains supply in the road.

Some residents are getting pretty worked up about this, claiming all sorts of disasters are inevitable, we'll all have to buy new appliances, the fuel will cost twice as much etc etc. This unease is mainly from the Spanish residents, though some Brits, myself included, remember when William Press did the conversion to Natural many years ago in the UK - that was a total shambles!

I think people are also becoming a bit edgy because none of us has had a gas bill from either Repsol or Fenosa since last September, which is very unusual.

Any comments you have would be appreciated.

Parilla

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Parilla

We had no problems at all. They came in, fiddled around, even checked the water temperature in the showers/bathrooms. Our systems were over 12 years old and boilers were fine and the hob, also gas,and a fixed wood burner type fire were fine. We had no break in supply and I have not noticed any difference. Lucky you having central heating, we don't have that but see no reason why that should not be OK as well.

When they laid the gas pipes I know that many residents in other blocks around here refused to have it but we were already set up. Seems you have a similar system to the one we had.

I am not sure if they were having to pay for the installation into their blocks if they did not a gas infrastructure, so to speak.

Personally I think it is just they are not used to piped gas. I think the bottles are horrible and a real hassle and would not have them, but, as ever, some people do not like change.

I did not hear of anyone having to buy new appliances.

Hope that helps.

Oh, they did put an extra gizmo on the pipe where the gas comes in, don't know what it is but assume it is part of a conversion kit.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Many thanks for your info everyone, it has been helpful.

Parilla