Architectural barbarity!

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Architectural barbarity!

Postby Weescottie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:26 am

Ok there may be something lost in (google) translation, but the gist is we received an email from our community president yesterday to say that our immediate neighbours have constructed an illegal room in the underbuild of our block of flats. Architectural barbarity was how he described the build, so guess it must be bad. The community have been having issues with our mains water and the water company have been in working underneath the building to replace the mains pipe. It appears the mains pipe is now fully buried beneath this new construction and drains partly covered. There are also other serious issues with this build. The president has denounced them to the town hall. I guess what happens now is that the neighbour is billed for the water pipe repairs/replacement and may also have to reinstate everything to how it was prior to their build or sort out the issues?? I suppose my major concern is, has this illegal build compromised the integrity of the building? We've personally had issues with minor cracking and poor drainage. The illegal room adjoins the wall of our bedroom, the apartments being built on a slope. He has also installed air con units for his whole apartment underneath this illegal room, my worry is where this is draining to?? What is the town hall likely to do? Insist on a full survey and rectification and/or removal? I guess I'm looking for reassurance that it will all work out all right now that it's been discovered and steps are in place to sort it out.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Architectural barbarity!

Postby costakid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Well if they have been denounced by the president thats a good thing. The problem in Spain is the legal system is very slow. Don’t expect a quick fix. Sorry but thats the way it is here.

Out of interest where are you living?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:45 pm

The town Hall in the form of the cadastral office should know if this new build has got planning permission and this should be the first thing that the President checks and asks about. If not - and I really dont see how there can be permission for such a Barbarity - then the culprit will have to demolish what he has done and return it to how it was before, with of course access to the essential plumbing etc ...
As a matter of interest, what nationality is the offender?
Since you feel you are affected too, with the cracks and the slow drainage, make it clear, in writing, to the president that you need to be informed of the outcome, and that you want your problems checked as part of the whole process - you shouldnt have to pay for any rectification to your property and so need to be part of the complaint via the President. Is anyone else affected?

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi there, I've asked for an inspection to ascertain if cracks etc are related to this building work. I'm hoping not but thought best to flag it and have it checked out. Our building is 20+ years old so maybe age related? Our neighbours are English. The president is very good at keeping everyone up to date so I'm sure he'll keep me informed. I'm not sure if anyone affected, I'm currently back in the UK but back out next week, I'm sure it will be the talk of the street. Guessing the responsible neighbours will be keeping a low profile.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:36 am

I am curious if this is an actual new build or a change of use of rooms that were there before that has being changed from storage to living.
It seems impossible that a community would let a new continue to allow a build to be completed to the point where air-con be installed before any action be taken.
I do not want to disappoint you but i would not have the same confidence in your president as you seem to have. If as you say he is keeping you informed. what was he doing when this project was taking place?

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:19 am

It's a totally new room build into the underbuild of our block of flats. My understanding is that it was done as an illegal add on to a reform the neighbours had done. I don't know the full story as we only moved in after works completed. It only came to light when the water company had to enter the void under the building to carry out remedial works. The town hall involved now, so hopefully they will ensure the right thing is done. The President is on the case, driving things forward and keeping us all informed.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 am

It seems it was a try-on and only for the water issue they would have got away with but someone at the time should have being asking questions.
I suspect others knew what was going on.
On the basis that when it comes to issueslike this the only person i trust is "me" Because it is next your property and if you consider it may now or in the future it may compromise your property.
With this in mind i would send a short note outlining your concerns to the Town Hall and copied to the president of the block. If the Town Hall decide to come to an arrangement then your personal concerns may be noted as well as the general concerns of the president.
These things are more often dealt with with a sanction and a hefty fine and also they be paying bigger property tax going forward, it is usually the last option to demolish.
Interesting, keep us informed...

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 am

I certainly shall keep all informed, updating as things progress. It is so helpful to "talk" it through with people that understand the system, a problem shared and all that! What does "sanction" mean??

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:49 am

A threatened penalty for breaking a law or an agreement.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:59 am

Many thanks all!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 pm

The last option is often to demolish, but in the meantime the barbarity seems to be obstructing necessary works to the plumbing for the block ... so it may have to come to at least partial demolishing, so that the work can be done!
Let us know how you get on Wee Scottie and what complications etc you come across - good luck!

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Cheers, hoping all goes smoothly. When I left last week, the water was scheduled to be turned off that day for water remedial works to commence, I thought I was going to be lucky and miss all the commotion, sounds like we may have a bit of disruption in store. Best make sure I have plenty of water and gin in the fridge.