Is this possible?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Is this possible?

Postby MauriceW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:17 pm

I saw a great plot with a terribly ugly old house on it. The price is good, even if it's just for the plot.
Is it possible in Andalucia to buy this and then demolish and remove the house, hire an architect and so on, and put a new house on it?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is this possible?

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Yes, but it is an incredibly difficult and expensive process and is best avoided.

If you did get permission, then the new house would have to be exactly the same footprint and size of the old house.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 pm

That is an idiotic policy with all these tacky old buildings built haphazardly everywhere. The max footprint should be determined by the parcela size.

MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MauriceW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Aha, and to get permission, etc, I guess I must first buy it first. And then it's the question if I get the permission.
And no, of course the footprint will be different. I want a nice much bigger house.

Too bad they make this so difficult, while it should be easy. No wonder that there are so much illegally built properties.

Thanks for your answer...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:33 pm

I am assuming that this is not an urban plot, if so, you stand very little chance of knocking it down and building a larger property.

I built a house on rustic land in 2002 before the law changed. At that time, if you had over 7000m2 of land it was possible but the size of the build was limited to 1.5% of the land area. In late 2002 that was changed and today, in Andalucia you need 30000m2 to even think about building. Even then you have to be a registered farmer making a living from the produce from your plot.

Yes, there are still people building small buildings in the Campo but these are usually designated as storage units and you cannot get a licence to live in them. A close neighbour did this in 2002 and after completion was served with a demolition order and a large fine. The property is still there but cannot be used or sold.

If you really want to go ahead, accept that you will be lucky if you get permission to reform the building, but if it is more than 1cm bigger than the original you will have serious legal and expensive problems. However, if it is on buildable urban land it may be possible, but they will still be planning restrictions about how big a house you can put on the plot. You can get all the information you need from the town hall planning office. Also a local architect will know the rules in detail and be able to advise you.

Sid