Water heater on a timer problem

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Water heater on a timer problem

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:21 pm

peteroldracer wrote: I have always understood the male bit on the appliance cable) is a plug, and the female bit the socket.
That is perfectly correct.
The male, with the sticking out bit, always goes into the female with a hole in it. :oops: :oops:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:13 am

peteroldracer wrote:do you mean plugs, or sockets?

I am talking about the stickying out bit, as Gerry puts it. :wtf:

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 am

I assume your talking about a timer you plug into a socket and the appliance is plugged into this.
Personally i think these only suitable for lighting as they are not designed for continual large
voltage passing through for long periods.
Also i would not use extension lead for electricity where there is an element involved, for safety
the cable and components need to be the same as in the wiring of the house where there is a large draw.
There are loads of timers that you should get in a good ferriateria but will have to be wired directly
into wiring system.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:54 am

A plug-in timer for a 1.5kW load is fine, so long as everything is good quality.
Agree that for high loads (current, not voltage!) 2.5kW+ (eg washing machine, tumble dryer, large water heater) a "hard wired" wall-mounted timer (eg a Smith's TimeGuard) is preferable.
Chris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:56 am

Chunky Monky wrote:
peteroldracer wrote:do you mean plugs, or sockets?

I am talking about the stickying out bit, as Gerry puts it. :wtf:
Bad Taste Bears - plug'n'socket.jpg
Chris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:09 am

I know it will work but for anything with an element my rule i will make it up with a male/female ends with suitable (2.5 cable)
I will also make it single socket only...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:43 am

The timer I bought states it is suitable for appliances up to 3.5kw so I guess it is safe for a 1.5kw water heater (and it is plugged directly into the wall socket, not via an extension). The heater is only actually on for an hour or so a day so surely that is the only time that the full power of 1.5kw is running through it? Timers by their nature are meant to be on all the time, I thought, so I didn't think there was a problem using it for a water heater.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Wicksey wrote: Timers by their nature are meant to be on all the time, I thought, so I didn't think there was a problem using it for a water heater.
A timer is simply an On/Off switch controlled by a timing device. Provided it's Kw rating is higher than the water heater, as yours seems to be, there is no reason not to use a timer for this purpose. I have been doing this myself for years without a problem.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Going slightly off topic, but the ladies might appreciate it, the socket, which is female supplies the power, when the plug, which is male, is plugged into the socket it receives power.
Or to put it another way, without the presence and help of a female, a male, on his own, is completely useless.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:04 pm

If it's getting hot, there's a dirty or bad connection there - in either the plug, the socket or the timer.

Eliminate the timer by unpluggng it, and plugging the heat plug straight into the wall socket.
If still getting hot, replace the plug.
If still getting hot, replace the wall socket.
Simples.
Chris