Leroy Merlin Purchase

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
telboy
Resident

Leroy Merlin Purchase

Postby telboy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm

My brother who has just recently moved to a house in the Alpujarras has to install solar panel system to their house, it is necessary for him to construct a housing room (external) to house all the workings and batteries etc. He took a trip up to Leroy Merlin (1hr) to purchase a generator to operate a borrowed cement mixer. The 800€ Redstone 5000watt generator despite the motor firing up it wouldn't create electrical power, he returned to Leroy Merlin with the generator and was told to hang around for 3 hours until the in-house technico turns up, that is the bloke that is at the desk of the machine hire dept. He couldn't find the fault so needs to return the machine to the manufacturer stating it would be back with them in two weeks.

Is this normal practice by Leroy Merlin or other DIY stores with these kind of purchases :?: Shouldn't he have been offered his money back or at least a replacement from the store :?: I had a similar problem with a Junkers gas boiler which I posted on A.com, I bought it from BricoMart (Malaga) I was told I couldn't replace it or get a refund, a Junkers service engineer turned up 2 weeks later.

terry

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leroy Merlin Purchase

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:53 pm

The EU consumer law says that the contract is with the seller so they are responsible for any faults so he doesn't have to accept this. There is another important part of consumer law which puts the onus on the seller to prove that the fault was not of their making in the first six months after the purchase making it very difficult to prove otherwise.

I also believe that they must have technical people available at all time with knowledge of their products and as they didn’t that was not really your problem. Leroy Merlin as the seller are responsible for selling it to you not any individual working there.

While in Marbella Habitat we bought a clock alarm which didn't work properly. My wife spoke to the store by phone and was fobbed off with your same story. I phoned their office in Madrid quoting the rules and was offered a refund directly with them covering return costs.

My wife is Spanish so it has nothing to do with the language rather more being armed with a little knowledge of consumer law.

I would phone Leroy Merlin's head office.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:15 pm

As I said we had the same problem with our new water heater, we were fobbed off and and even went through the motions of filling out a denucia which was a waste of time, the reply letter to the denuncia from the head office in France just said 'tough it's our policy'.

I wasn't with my brother when he returned the generator, but I did advise him that more than likely they would have it repaired by a technico rather than give you a refund or a replacement there and then. Because the whole repair episode is motion, it'll be just a case of wait and see. It's a learning curve, I am sure if he'd have bought the generator from the local Ferreteria they would have replaced it.

cheers
terry :thumbup:

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am

Update

30th November - 20 days on my brother had a call from Leroy Merlin to say their 'Brand New Generator' is now repaired and ready for pick from the store in Granada or 50€ if they want it delivering. :wtf:

terry