instal porcelain shower tray on tiles

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
olive
Andalucia Guru

instal porcelain shower tray on tiles

Postby olive » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am

Anyone know the best procedure for doing this? It is a 90cm quarter circle one. I am getting conflicting builders merchant advice. One says use acrylic sealant from a gun to bed it on. The other suggests a bed of the white powder used to make a paste, to bed toilets and bidets on. I am inclined to the latter as you can obtain a clean neat joint finish that wont discolour over the years.

I cannot see either way giving you much ability to ensure it is level. It will just assume the level of the tiled floor which is pretty spot on.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: instal porcelain shower tray on tiles

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Use a tile-on-tile adhesive to lay the shower tray on. A good tile merchant will be able to offer you one from Capaland (good products), specifically for adhering to existing tiles. It's a powder (mix with water), so you can mix to the stiffness you require, and smooth off at the edge to look professional.

I wouldn't recommend laying a heavy shower tray on silicone, as it will always be flexible, and watertight joints around it will give a problem.

You can level the straight edges of the tray (if the floor isn't) by pushing small wedges under the tray, while the adhesive is setting. Check first with a spirit level, as this might not be necessary.
Chris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: instal porcelain shower tray on tiles

Postby olive » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Good advice , thanks.