Built in log burner problem

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
casita-bonita
Resident

Built in log burner problem

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 am

Morning all.

We have a built in log burner that has a couple off fans that circulate warm air into the room. It is around 10 years old and one of the fans has seized and needs replacing. Surprising how much difference to the room temp one broken fan makes.

I have no experience of these and no real idea how to take the fire apart to replace them, It appears to my untrained eye that there are a couple of screws at the bottom of the facia which when removed could allow the facia to be taken off and the fans accessed. Even if I can remove the facia I don't know where to purchase replacement fans.

I'd like to get someone in to fix this for me as I can't see it being a simple job, although I may well be wrong and someone who knows what they are doing may get this done in a couple of hours. Right now don't want to be without the fire in the evenings while I mess around with it. Can anybody recommend an experienced company or person who can come to Sayalonga and carry out the repairs.

TIA
Regards

Bob

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Built in log burner problem

Postby Lyric » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 am

http://chimeneastehisu.com/
Have always been satisfactory for me.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 am

Any handyman be able to do as, what you need to check is if its a screw or an actual small bolt?
It will not need to be exact same fan as if same wattage/size/fixings be ok
The difficulty can be is to get to the other side of as need access to both sides nut + bolt.
Usually fans are bolted in place because of vibrasion.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:48 am

Lyric wrote:http://chimeneastehisu.com/
Are these the guys in Velez?. Didn't realise that they came out to home, thought they were just a shop.. I'll contact them, thanks.
Regards

Bob

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:58 am

They are a good company and will visit. The fan in mine failed. To be honest I don't know how they survive at the temperature they operate at. It was easy to get at as the front fascia came off easily but the fixing bolts were seized. Fortunately I have an air powered impact wrench which I could just get at them with and coupled with lashings of WD40 I eventually got it off. Tehisu got me a new one which I fitted in no time. The only down side is the new one is so much noisier than the old one but is more effective.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm

There are a couple of screws at the bottom of the facia which after several days of WD40 do turn. But at the top of the fire there is a knob that controls a flap in the flue. Looks like this knob needs to be removed for the facia to come off. I know that the bolts that hold the actual flap to the shaft to which this knob is attached are siezed so not sure how to deal with that.

THink I prefer to get someone in who has the tools to sort it.
Regards

Bob

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:28 pm

If you have two fans, it's fairly important that the two are identical type/spec/airflow - so best to replace both. (If one is more powerful than the other, the more powerful one will be fighting against the other.)

The reason these fans last so long in a hot fire is that they are sucking in room-temperature 'cool' air, are therefore self-cooling.

If the fans are square-frame with a circular fan, even good-quality ones are not expensive, as they are used all over the shop for electronic equipment cooling.

The new ones should be no noisier than the old (except for losing a bit of dust and dirt) if they have the same air-flow rating (litres per minute).

The other outfit dealing with this type of fire is Bisonte, also on the V-M poligono. Both companies have their admirers and detractors.
Chris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:57 am

Lyric wrote:http://chimeneastehisu.com/
They fitted our woodburner and a new flue and also made a replacement grid that sits in the bottom of the fire when it broke. We have found them very efficient.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 am

Sent them a mail yesterday, but haven't had a response yet.
Regards

Bob

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 am

Did you ever get a reply from Tehisu Chimeneas? I'm looking for a reliable company to check ours over.. Thanks
Ricasso,
Axarquía

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am

No I didn't. But I found a local guy to do the job so I never bothered to chase them up.
Regards

Bob