Builder/decorator payment profile

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
happyh
Andalucia.com Amigo

Builder/decorator payment profile

Postby happyh » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:16 pm

We are currently obtaining quotes locally for a complete redecoration of our small community.The total cost is likely to be circa €50k inc iva. Can anyone advise what is a normal payment profile for this type of sum in Spain? In other words how much do we pay upfront,how much is stages and how much is kept until completion of the works?
Any advice gratefully received.

wollie
Resident

Re: Builder/decorator payment profile

Postby wollie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:19 pm

When i did a project the builder said he normally would ask for 50% before he started work but in my case he accepted 25% at the time he was quiet with work so i gave him the money and he started, the job was €70+
The agreement was 4 payments and i was to retain 5k for a time at the end i think for 3 months, i did not do this as when the job was completed i paid in full as i knew he had done good work.
The most important thing here is trust and i had built a trusting relationship with this guy before job started, i said to my builder before the job started that we may have disagreements during the course of the work but that i promise i would not "*beep* him around" i was using an interpreter and he said he liked to hear this comment. I was lucky he was a great guy/builder.
Back to you it will depend on the level of materials that needs to be bought before the job starts as to what level of payment is in advance.

happyh
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby happyh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for the reply Wollie. That was the sort of deal I had in mind.
Regards

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Agree with Wollie that trust is vitally important and it is a two way thing.
If someone insists on 50% up front, I would walk away from it. 25% up front is more normal, with agreed stage payments as the job progresses. It is perfectly normal for a retainer to be agreed of say 10% until a mutually agreed period after completion of the work. If surveyors/inspectors are involved then they would need time to inspect the work and if happy then make final payment, if not happy both sides need to agree what work has to be completed/altered/improved before final inspection and payment.

As Wollie said, mutual respect is the key. Sometimes things go wrong and have to be corrected, but that's life.

Good luck with project.