Water Deposit Dilemma

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
telboy
Resident

Water Deposit Dilemma

Postby telboy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:26 am

We look after a holiday home in the campo, after last years drought the owners decided to have a 4,000ltr water deposit installed.

The town water feed continually tops up the deposit via the contador and water filter, when the water is used a pump kicks in to regulate the flow to the house. When there are no guests at the property the garden watering system (GWS) makes use of the water. Now Autumn/Winter is approaching the owner prefers not to use the GWS, basically because it is not necessary and it is very likely that the pipes could freeze.

The owner is concerned that the unused water in the deposit could become stagnant, he has an issue with future guests contracting some sort of disease.

The question is - Should I leave the water standing in the water deposit and treat it with something (tablespoon of chlorine) during the 6 months or so it is not in use or should I empty it?

Note - Tried attaching photo (drag and drop) but not visible in 'Preview'.

cheers terry :thumbup:

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Water Deposit Dilemma

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:33 pm

For 4000L, throw a couple of pool (multifunction) tablets in at the start of the winter.
Let guests know they shouldn't use it as drinking water - good advice for 'tank' water at any time of year.
If tank and pump are underground or built-in, they might/might not get some protected from frost.
Chris

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Water Deposit Dilemma

Postby probe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm

We frequently leave water in over winter and add some sterilization tabs. You can get them on line - they are used for decontaminating water in developing countries. However, I agree that pool tablets will do the same.

We test the water at the beginning of the season at the pharmacy to ensure no nasty organisms and in 12 years have had none.