Rope/gasket for wood burner

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Rope/gasket for wood burner

Postby ashtondav » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi, I have an old wood burning stove, and the sealing rope needs replacing. I’ve been on google and watched some you tube but have the following issues:

1. All the videos show the rope being applied to a groove running the whole way round the DOOR.

2. My stove has the rope applied to the body of the stove not the door (which has no groove).

3. The existing rope on the stove body is applied to both sides and the bottom of the frame. The top side has no groove and no rope.

Does this sound right - ie apply rope to three sides of the stove body but not the top?

Confused so any help, experience or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rope/gasket for wood burner

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:46 pm

just looked at ours and the rope goes all the way around the door. Nothing on the burner just the door.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi ashtondav,

Our "rope"runs along top of door and down the sides........some air will be drawn in along the bottom.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 pm

The rope is actually glass-fibre, iirc.
Ferreteria La Noria (Nerja) - or the place next door to them - keep a lot of stove/piping bits and pieces, as well as Tehisu and Bisonte on the Velez-Malaga (Peugeot++) pol.ind.
Chris