Obligations to public areas

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
topflynn

Obligations to public areas

Postby topflynn » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:33 am

Hi Guys,

I bought a lovely villa in Las Lomas de Mijas last year and have spent the last year improving it. The property did not have a proper gate and protection at the front so I applied to the local Town Hall for a licence to build a proper set of gates and railings to protect the house from casual trespassing.

The Town Hall granted the licence but with a condition that I replace the existing white concrete pavement at the front with a red tarmac pavement that fits in better with the local surroundings. They asked me for a retainer to ensure that this additional work is completed.

I am gobsmacked that this condition should be applied. The pavement is not on my land, it is part of the community space and it seems that the town hall is trying to get me to pay for something that should be funded from a highways (or similar) budget.

It is a about a 35 meter stretch so would cost between 3 and 4 K Euros to complete.

Any thoughts appreciated.

John

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Obligations to public areas

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 am

Well now the know your thoughts I guess there is no way around it. They will probably have you on a list and do a random inspection to see if you have complied.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:04 am

"I am gobsmacked that this condition should be applied. The pavement is not on my land, it is part of the community space and it seems that the town hall is trying to get me to pay for something that should be funded from a highways (or similar) budget"

This line from your message suggest your villa may be part of a community.
If this is the case the community would be liable to meet the cost of this work/retainer or at least that's my understanding.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am

Sounds perfectly normal to me - a smaller version of a developer of a retail building having to agree to installing new access roads, roundabouts and streetlights. You have two choices - give up on your gates and railings, or do as they insist.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:55 pm

I am aware of a couple of instances locally where, for a development of their property, the owner has been 'requested' to develop some jungle on their land to an area of fruit trees, permission then being granted.