Pozo negro

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pozo negro

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi boblocksmith,
The theory is ..if you're kind to your pozo negro .......then it biodegrades...I feed mine once a month with SepClean and its been ok. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks for the reply Enrique, you reckon toilet paper all biodegrades? Do you have grey water going into your pozo? Can you get this SepClean from mercadonna?
Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 am

"-Is it only me that worries about these things in my dreams at night???? "

if you´re worrying about your pozo negro at night it´s good news as it means you havn´t got any real problems to worry about !! :)

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 am

boblocksmith, Mercadona sell boxes of satches called Fosas Sépticas Activador Biológico which do the same thing. You flush them down the toilet, the number depending on the usage of the toilets.

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion , Masterob.

And Enrique, thanks for the PM info.

Julian, my problems sit on the 'top shelf' and it's only the trickle down effect of the smaller ones that are the worriers - the big chunks stay on the shelf! (am I being too cryptic?) :mrgreen:
Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Pozo Negros / Fosa Septicas

Postby AndyLucyOne » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 pm

jpinks wrote:If you actually mean a Septic Tank, that is a good way of dealing with sewerage. The tank needs to be a good size, about half a cubic metre per person in the house ....... There is the choice of a composting toilet - no water at all. Many people around here use those, especially as they are on private water supplies which are limited.
I've bought a rustic rural property on a hill (no-one above !!). I think it might have a pozo negro: a soil pipe comes out of the wall and disappears into the ground on the downslope (and there IS a fig tree, which somebody mentioned !). I cant see any kind of inspection hatch/cover anywhere. The soilpipe on the wall is broken, so I do have to do something. I suppose I could just repair the soilpipe and see what happens. But supposing it needs a fosa septica, I'm attracted by the idea of a "composting toilet" where the reward for all my "efforts" could be something safe to enrich the garden soil. Does anyone know about these, and how do they compare on cost, longevity and maintenance compared with a plastic fosa septica ? I like the idea of using "grey water" for the garden.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi we have a pozo negro which does just fine, no smells, healthy patch of hillside below where we expect the outflow to be - our inspection hatches SEEM to be set into the concrete over the pozo negro and are only identifyable by being round patches of concrete within the rest of the concrete. Perhaps you have something similar which you may have overlooked ...
Sorry, know nothing about composting toilets. Perhaps someone else will be along soon ...