Wall Starters needed

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Wall Starters needed

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:11 pm

Has anyone ever bought or seen in Spain Galvanised adjustable wall starter kits used for tying new masonry to an existing wall.

If so do they know the Spanish name and where they bought them.

My Spanish builder starts next week but cant find them anywhere.

Alternately anyone know of an Internet DIY shop that ships to Spain?

TIA

Mike

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:55 am

Galvanised adjustable wall starter kits:?: used for tying new masonry to an existing wall.
If your Spanish builder is a builder..he should have/supply all the tools he needs..
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:38 am

My husband reliably informs me that the spanish have a solution for every thing and the solution for this one is

A two coat metal render bead (guardavivos galvanizado) from the local building suppliers flattened out in to lengths of 300mm, then turned up in to a 'L' shape by approx 50mm then drilled and screwed to the existing wall, leaving the longest length to bond into the new brickwork. Use every 3 courses.

All double dutch to mee, but will no doubt make sense to all you builder types!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:46 am

silver wrote:Galvanised adjustable wall starter kits:?: used for tying new masonry to an existing wall.
If your Spanish builder is a builder..he should have/supply all the tools he needs..
My Spanish builder is certainly a builder and a very good one at that which is why I have waited 6 months for him to start.

However it is I who do not want him to break into the existing house wall to tie-in the new extension.

Adjustable galvanised wall starter kits are ideal for this situation, however, they do not appear to be sold in Spain.

Jane's husbands idea is an option but the starter kits offer more strength.

Mike

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:33 pm

Never seen them here but then never looked that hard! We've always ended up taking a chance with differential movement by drilling in to the existing wall and tying the new wall to the old by means of reinforcing dowel bars, set in with epoxy resin. I like Alan's solution though, Jane!

These suppliers have online shopping but don't know if they'd ship to Spain and the cost would probably be prohibitive anyway

http://tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=323501
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hardwar ... 170/sd2836
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat ... 2&ts=47515

Or do it the Spanish way and just don't bother to tie it in at all :wink: