How can I get rid of scratches on marble?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

How can I get rid of scratches on marble?

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:27 pm

Having just finished painting the walls of our main room, including the chimney breast over our marble fireplace, there are some fine scratches where I have been a bit too brutal when getting rid of paint overflow! Has anyone used successfully any scratch removers and/or marble polishes to bring it back to shiny smooth?
Last edited by peteroldracer on Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:54 pm

[open answer, color=pink, typeface=arial mood=good] We have people do the marbe floors and they use a buffer and some polishing compound so thats what I would do to remove scratches get some paste/polishing compound and buff away[/open answer, color=pink, typeface=arial mood=good]

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:40 pm

Could try using a bit tooth paste on an area that cant be seen in case it makes it worse. I know this works on music Cd's that have been scratched.Or maybe get some rubbing compound that people use on car bodywork.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:53 pm

Anything containing a fine abrasive powder should do the trick. Very fine wet and dry paper or bath cleaner might work although something like 'Vim' could be a bit coarse.
Grouser

julian
Andalucia Guru

marble

Postby julian » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:06 pm

the ferreterias sell a liquid for this problem

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Looks like I have a little shopping and some delicate DiY to do after Tuesday! At least here the world does not shut down for what seemed to be three weeks back in the UK.......
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.