What can I grow...

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Kmoppz
Resident

What can I grow...

Postby Kmoppz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:18 pm

I have a small garden, which is part of a larger communal garden, and an outside tap, which I could put a timer on...

What could I grow, with the idea of eating it!

I'm only down in Spain once a month for a long weekend, then every couple of months for a week.

So it needs to be able to look after it's self by and large, other than some watering by an irrigation system.

really fancy something that wont grow in the UK, the guy next door has a great lemon tree. We borrowed a couple just before Christmas for or Vodka! So I have the lemons covered :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:26 pm

Fig trees don't need much looking after or orange.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:08 pm

If you keep it pruned, an Avocado might be an idea. Like citrus, the fruit doesn't ripen on the tree so you can pick the fruit throughout most of the year.

Tomatoes can be grown all year round here. Avoid fruit trees like apricots or nectarines as they crop all in one go and you might not be here when they do.

Apart from that, stick to flowers - you can have a good show all year round - roses grow well here.

Sid

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Grapes. If you grow the right variety you can make your own raisins. Fresh herbs. The woody ones such as rosemary will stand neglect. Most veg requires too much attention.
Grouser

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Definitely avoid plum (especially the small yellow ones), apricot and nisperro. Ours all fruit so quickly and in the space of just a few weeks they have been and gone (or the birds have got whats left)!

I agree with Katy, Fig trees are easy care as they dont need much water. Grapefruit ones, and pears are as easy care as lemons, also.

I must admit, if it is just a small garden, lemon would be my preference..fruit on tap most of the year for those ever needed G&T´s after a long day in the garden.... :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Cheers guys, some great idea i had not considered...

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Almond? An easy tree to keep in shape, few pests, lovely blossom, beautiful perfume and you can harvest the nuts even if they have fallen to the ground in your absence. I wouldn't want to do without the lemon tree though :D
Sandramay