what are these?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ken2
Resident

what are these?

Postby ken2 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:47 pm

been out rambling again, so the camera is on the go, this is a large tree, and it looks like it as runner beans growing ha ha ok yes they are not, but what tree is it??

and what is this little beauty

Chrissie
Resident

what are these

Postby Chrissie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:49 pm

The tree looks like an algorroba (carob tree).
Not sure about the flowers though
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:58 pm

nice one Chrissie, that looks like the tree, that flower is only one stem, the four flowers are one on top of the other,?? nice ain't it, only one on the ground, all on its own??

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:53 pm

thats definitely a carob tree Ken. if you want to taste/use, wait til they drop on the ground and are dark brown as they are then ready. If you know anyone with goats, you can collect them for them. They love them! My spanish neighbour told me they are poisonous to use if you pick from the tree.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:19 pm

The flower looks a bit like a type of lupin to me.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:05 pm

The flower is definitely pea family, possibly a trefoil or a vetch. It would help to see the leaf. If it has three leaflets on each stem then it is a trefoil. If you crush the stems and it smells of tar then it is a pitch trefoil. If on the other hand it has lots of leaflets on each stem it is probably a vetch. I think its time for you to buy a wildflower book Ken.
Grouser

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Grouser TRY THIS FOR THE LEAF, AND YES I HAVE A BIRTHDAY COMING UP NEXT MONTH, have told oh about this thread he he he, i will delete this big picture after you have seen it, thanks, so them pods when brown you can eat???

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Grouser wrote:The flower is definitely pea family, possibly a trefoil or a vetch. It would help to see the leaf. If it has three leaflets on each stem then it is a trefoil. If you crush the stems and it smells of tar then it is a pitch trefoil. If on the other hand it has lots of leaflets on each stem it is probably a vetch. I think its time for you to buy a wildflower book Ken.

right i told you this was the only one, but their was loads of wild sweet peas about too

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Can't identify it precisely from the book I have here. I need my copy of the book below which is in Spain while I am in the UK. But now I see it more clearly Hilly's suggestion of a lupin looks good. The leaves are certainly correct. This book was recommended by:
masterob wrote:Also:

"Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean" by Marjorie Blamey and Christopher Grey-Wilson. Published by A&C Black. Price £16.99
in an earlier thread. I went and bought it and it is certainly the most comprehensive Mediterranean Wildflower guide I have come across.
Don't attempt to eat the seeds
Despite the name many of the pea family's seeds are poisonous.
Grouser

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:52 pm

thanks again Grouser, lupin?? it was only about 6 to 8 ins high?? will try the book shop in feungirola tomorrow, or if i want to be crafty, my daughter is coming over on Saturday so if not local, i;ll give her a bell tomorrow, and suggest a daddies birthday present :wink: :roll:

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:08 pm

There are several varieties of Lupin which are quite short , 8 inches and up. One, 'Lupinus Micranthus', is from 4 to 16 inches high but the flowers don't match your pic.
Grouser