Growing Citrus Trees

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

Growing Citrus Trees

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:51 pm

I would appreciate any advice on growing both orange and grapefruit trees.

We have planted both and both have not done well. They seem to dry up at the ends of branches, buds developed after blossom fall off, and in the case of the grapefruit the leaves curl and twist.

Both are quite small, the orange is in the ground, and the grapefruit is in a very large tub.

We inhertied a lemon tree which is quite mature and doing very well.

Can anyone suggest what we are doing wrong, or what we are not doing that we should be? Too much water? Too little water? Do they need spraying? If so, with what?

Thanks.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Alan, over the past seven years we have planted a variety of citrus fruits Lemons, white and ruby grapefruit, lime oranges clementine etc and treat them all basically the same. For the first two years we don't let them fruit. they are all in the land and on automatic irrigation, twice a day. They also get fed via the same system about once a month. Albono and another feed, but sorry I'm not in Spain at the moment so can't tell you the name. The land is hill side terraced shale so the nutrients are soon lost The folk at the agriculturas and our Spanish neighbour advised us what to use. The feed also makes them stronger and more resistant to bugs and disease.
I try to just use soapy water for any pests but sometimes resort to insect spray (Cid gave quite a lot of info on a past post)
I keep the trees well pruned especially any die-back. Are your trees well staked? Until they are established the wind can cause a lot of problems. The one in the tub you will have mother and father it depends on you for everything, except the sunlight :roll: One other thought, have you got other trees nearby for cross pollination?
We are not there all the time but our fruit return has been very gratifying for such young trees and the grapefruit were M & S size and quality :lol:
Hope this has been of some help to you Alan, don't give up :)
Sandramay

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Sandramay wrote: They also get fed via the same system about once a month. Albono and another feed, but sorry I'm not in Spain at the moment so can't tell you the name.
Is it Atila, Sandra?
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:03 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :cry: That's the excellent weed killer. .......... Not a recommended feed :lol:
Sandramay

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:58 pm

Not sure about the tub grown citrus, but those in the ground don't seem to like grass growing round the base. They like to have the soil dug over and, especially young trees, they benefit from watering regularly (every week) during the summer. Mature trees have deep enough roots to survive, but even they benefit from some summer watering, with better fruit.

Putting a mulch around the base is always worth doing to help keep the moisture in the soil. Another thing is if the "trunk" is very thin i.e. very young trees, some sort of protection from the sun is a good idea. White household paint will do.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 pm

A quick line to add ....

Citrus also need Iron to make the leaves that dark Green (And to toughen them agains aphid attack) - Water in sequesterd Iron one a year

Also Spray with a systemic antibug against leaf miner - about now before the fruit start swelling - If you want to keep the new leaves on the tree.

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Growing Citrus Trees

Postby ashtondav » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:49 pm

I'd like to grow a variety of citrus trees. When should they be planted? How many years is it before you get fruit?

Martin Page
Resident

Re: Growing Citrus Trees

Postby Martin Page » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Dependent on the age of the tree you plant ...straight away.
However its good practice, especially for a Luna, or triploid tree, (flowers, set fruit, and ready fruit- at the same time) to pick off all flowers in the first year irrespective of the trees actual age. You want it to spread its roots out first ideally
Then let the blossoms Start around March/April and feed, iron, and anti leaf miner as and when its needed.