plants that like full sun

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: plants that like full sun

Postby Campo Gill » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 pm

might give that a miss then..i have a dog and a cat who go everywhere!!!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 pm

Many common plants in Spain are really poisonous. Probably the worst are the Oleander and the Castor Oil plant - one seed of which will kill a human - and they grow wild all over.

Dogs are far more likely to be poisoned by humans than by plants.

Sid

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 pm

country boy wrote:For bedding, I find Petunias and Vincas to be completely sunproof and both will self set like mad!
Does anyone know how to kill off a Vinca? A friend has one spreading like mad from their neighbours, but no matter what is put on it (including bleach), it thrives!!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:17 am

flowers doing great now irrigation in!!!!! still think some plants dont like full sun even when it says they do!!! lavender hates it...narrow and broad leaf variety... both died till i put them in the shade!! all other flowers doing great now! thanks for names of flowers!
on to veggies now....rented a campo house last year and i was eating tomotoes for months!!! bought a few plants this year and they are crap!!! few tomatoes and dont taste great...can you tell me what tomato plants to buy that give good results? can i grow veggies at this time of year? if so what ones...dont say courgettes as i am sick of them.......every time i pick one another one grows...obviously thay like slate soil and no water!!! good supply a supermarket with the amount i got!!

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:03 am

Glad to hear you have got the irrigation sorted.
You sound as if you are having as much fun as me coping with spanish gardening!!
This year I bought a few tomato plants and also grew some. The ones I grew myself turned out a lot better as I think they got off to a good start with their roots. The cherry toms do well here but I don't like them! I think the easiest ones to grow are the plum tomatoes.
We had lavender in full sun but it was an old mature plant which I have now dug out. The one we still have is under a palm tree and gets some shade.

I am no expert on veggies but we planted onions cabbage and cauli last year in october as soon as we had had some rain and they did really well. Lasted us all winter and spring. Also the red tipped curly lettuce grew well in the winter.