Cat repellent

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ninamh
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cat repellent

Postby ninamh » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Has anyone tried these sonic cat reppelents? Any recommendation on brand? I have the neighbours cat wandering arround my garden.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cat repellent

Postby mhic » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:25 pm

That's the only thing I have not tried yet but I would be surprised if they are any use, didn't work for mice in our warehouse. We get the neighbours cat's watering our pots in the garden killing the plants they also get into the garage and downstairs bathroom and of S--t everywhere. They also keep us awake at night with their screeching. For me it's either a gun or strong catapult next.

Mhic.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:50 pm

DOG !

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Got a big one and she hates moggies, but she can't catch them.

Mhic.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Maybe your dog need a Terrier play mate then -

conjuro

Postby conjuro » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 pm

Used black pepper many times and it worked, give it a try.
For slugs, cut GRAPEFRUIT skins in half, eat the fruit first :) place upside down near plant and check daily. lots of dead snails etc. This is super for strawberry patches.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:14 am

I tried black pepper and white pepper ages ago but it didn't stop them. I put a layer of small lemon twigs on some of the larger pots a few days ago and found some of the bits on the patio so one of the things had a nasty surprise.

Mhic.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:19 am

Fry some sponge in a nice fishy,dirty pan...put it out for the moggies...They wont ever be back. :(

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 am

Chuck mothballs around, they don't like them.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:39 pm

I second the mothball suggestion. No cats since mothballs were scattered. No moths either so it's a win win situation.
Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Mothballs are good, but your aim needs to be good.

Seriously though, we had an electric cat scarer and weren't impressed. However, our son-in-laws parents had one in their garden and the cats stayed away. It is almost as though they work for domestic cats but not Spanish village strays.

Mind you, although they should operate on a frequency that humans can't hear, our daughter could hear it, so they can be annoying for some.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:15 pm

Seriously though, we had an electric cat scarer and weren't impressed.
Would it work with ordinary cats?
Dave

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:44 pm

You could feed them some paracetamol, but then would die, bit too cruel :twisted:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:36 am

I got the one I dislike most the one I often spot in the garage, one of those real cocky tomcats, with the power washer on Wednesday. Looked up and there he was up on my wall staring down at my growling dog, the washer knocked him clean off the wall. I think even my dog thought that was funny.

Mhic.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Somebody once told me that the best cat repellant was to keep a cat of your own.
Our dogs could never catch any visiting cats nor did they scare them.

We had dreadful trouble with feral cats at one time despite a spaying operation carried out on them.
About a year ago we took in one of the feral kittens that had been abandoned - it was very poorly and couldn't see, it was so young. She refused to leave the garden.

She is spayed , half feral, but won't let the other ferals in her garden at all now. She lives outdoors by choice because we have three dogs now and she doesn't like the new adopted stray because he chases her. Since having her, we haven't been troubled by the cats at all. She's a feisty little thing and a good ratter so we haven't had any mice lately either.
I don't care for cats much but am grateful to her for looking after us.

tarotwoman
Tourist

Postby tarotwoman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:29 pm

The previous writer is quite right that the best deterrant for a cat is to have one of your own. After coming in the worse for wear on several occasions as he was growing up, my cat now stands up to any others in the area and they keep well away. It also has the added advantage that you get less bird muck on your washing, outside furniture etc, and I don't have to worry about mice because he kills them for fun.

Cats are usually very fussy about what they eat so anything unsavoury left out for them will probably be eaten by a less fussy animal.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:18 pm

I thought I'd resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one. One or more of the neighbourhood cats have taken to using my terraza as a lavatory, with very unpleasant results. I knew I would find some information on this esteemed forum and I am about to visit the ferreteria to get some mothballs. I don't dislike cats in general (only the culprits in this case), but aside from getting a cat of my own (which isn't very practical for me), if anyone has any other suggestions that may prevent this unwelcome nocturnal activity, I'd be most grateful to hear them.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:22 pm

No point in getting a cat of your own as we have 4 (2 male 2 female all neutered) and there's a tomcat that keeps calling by ours and p1ssing everywhere and fighting with our cats. I would dearly love to discourage this particular cat from coming through our garden but have yet to find any way of deterring it.

We're out in the campo but this cat insists on coming right up to our doors and fighting with the others (it was sitting on our window ledge looking in one night!). I wish it would just go and harass some of the other campo colonies of cats as there's plenty of countryside for it to roam in, rather than keep weeing all around our house.

Delule

Postby Delule » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Sorry - but in my experience they don't work.....

A friend bought one and found it made no difference to the cats in her garden.

Our next-door-neighbour has one. Although humans are not supposed to hear it, the sound drives me, hubby & especially the step-kids, round the bend. The neighbours are getting on in years and a little hard of hearing, so say they can't hear a thing (interestingly the people who can hear it are about 50% of those we know - we did an experiment asking everyone who came to the house - sometimes when it was on, and sometimes when it was off!). However, it has absolutely NO EFFECT on my cat, or any other of the neighbourhood cats!

My gran used to use lemon & orange peel, as cats don't like citrus smells. They also don't like horse manure (but then again - neither do most people!).
I've use 'Get Off My Garden' I think it's called - green gel stuff - to keep the cat away from where I've put in sees. It seems to work OK.

Good luck!