leylandii

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

leylandii

Postby Campo Gill » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:36 pm

i want to have a hedge which is fast growing. I have a barren area that i want to cultivate and the hedge is to provide shelter for plants/veg and myself.I saw leylandii plant in the garden centre....i know it has caused a lot of problems in the uk, but i am quite keen to get it. I will maintain it at a reasonable height.
We have no neighbours to annoy, so that isnt a problem.
anyone any experience of this plant here?
thanks

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: leylandii

Postby julian » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 pm

What sort of problems did this hedge cause in the UK?? some health and safety problem maybe??

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 pm

mainly overgrowing and bothering neighbours...so bad that if you dont control it you get an asbo and a fine!!! not a problem here as no neighbours. just interested if anybody has used it and found any problems,other than annoying your neighbours!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:44 pm

asbo for growing a hedge...OMG !!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:10 am

No one likes an out of control bush!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:06 pm

princess peach wrote:No one likes an out of control bush!
Mmm, Mmm, well some of us do :thumbup:
Ah! the full english!!

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 pm

just bought 4, so, will let you know how it goes..hopefully by next year i wont see the big pylon outside my house!!!

jeanie27
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jeanie27 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Not sure how leylandii grow in Spain. We have a very long garden (400') and our neighbour has them. They aren't a problem as he's reasonable and, between us, they are kept at a reasonable height. They are a nice, lush plant and make a very effective screen.

The biggest problem we've found is that they drain any moisture out of the soil for some considerable distance around (maybe because there's so many of them) and trying to grow anything else close by is a struggle.

If this isn't an issue for you then good luck - they are certainly a heck of a lot better to look at than pylons!

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:45 pm

great...have bought some, as not had many replies and so far so good!! even better they take all the water as might save any landslides next rainfall!! thanks

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:40 am

We use them for screening in the uk, we plant them close together, 18 inches apart and we don,t trim the top of them untill you have the height that we want, when you chop the top they will start to thicken up, problem is, they are not thick at the bottom 2 foot or so, so we have a meter high fence around the bottom of them, they can be a nightmare for people, if used to block out light from other peoples property, hence the asbos !
I personally haven't ever noticed things not growing close to them, it hasn't affected the grass at all, it still grows around them.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Don't plant them near drains as the roots are extremely invasive. We had leylandii on 2 sides of our house in Scotland. The hedge lifted the monobloc. The roots aren't deep, but very very long.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:56 pm

julian wrote:asbo for growing a hedge...OMG !!

You wouldn't think it so outrageous if you were living like this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... spute.html

Some neighbours up the street from us have a would be wonderful view blocked by their neighbours hedge and serves no purpose. Depends which side of the hedge you are on, or maybe a view isn't important for you! Of course there is no law to cover it in Spain.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 am

Asbo for growing a hedge
Probably it was one of these illegal hedge funds.
Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Arf!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Katy, you have a good point, there has been awful reports in the UK of people losing light and thier gardens becoming too shaded from neigbours Leylandi, I put in the house deeds no Leylandi when we build, but doesn't stop people doing it, but hopefully if someone did take someone to court, it would be easier to remedy, we do use them, but to only to seperate field from field on the land and they are far far away from anyone house. I can't imagine a worse nightmare than having problems of any type with a neigbour, no matter house far or close they live to you. :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.