nispero

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
swerve
Resident

nispero

Postby swerve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Thinking of planting a nispero has anyone bought any lately and if so what sort of price are they.Also what do these fruit taste like.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

ValL
Resident

Re: nispero

Postby ValL » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:40 am

I have one that has been in garden for about 8/9 years. I don't know the price of them sorry but the fruit is a little fiddly to do anything with other than pick wash and eat, throw away stone. It tastes to me somewhere between a plum and a peach. I have in the past peeled and chopped them and used as puree for desserts and cocktails ... lot of work for not a lot of fruit and they stain your fingers ! I have pruned mine a lot for this year and will just eat the fruit with my breakfast.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:04 am

We have Nispero tree.

The fruit is difficult to describe (like most fruits). Skin thicker than a plum and it's peelable. Sour rather than sweet. Firmish texture. The whole fruit is spoiled by three large stones held in a chewy membrane.

We peel them and include in a fruit salad. I would happily do without them.

But one and try it. They are in season now.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:52 am

I can also take or leave them, but they are OK. Spanish friends normally dump a load on us when we are there, so we have to eat them. :) They have removed loads of their nísperos, as they used to sell them, and they are very easily bruised and then become unsellable commercially. They reckon they were not worth the trouble, you have to be so careful, and there's not a huge return. At least they are easier to eat than chirimoyas, whilst they taste nice, there's a lot of seeds to pick out. Although some just eat them!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:27 pm

OK, I'm eating a nisperro (Medlar, Easter fruit) right now, with a tissue nearby. My little grand daughter, nearly three, took some for trying, to playschool yesterday and the children are planting the stones.She enjoys pulling the firm skin off for me as I find the skin too tough, but it can be eaten. I think the texture is like an apricot but more juicy and sharper in flavour. A young tree is not expensive.....€5 ? The secret with the tree is to remove 50% of the unripe fruit so that the remaining fruit ripens to a decent size. I bring some back off my trees, but nisperros are sometimes for sale in Sainsburys and Waitrose. So you could still try them if you are currently in the UK Swerve. Expensive, £1.99 for six!

PS. I've also got a Nisperro tree in the garden here in the UK, grown from a stone, four years old, yet to fruit :)
Sandramay

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:09 pm

We have about 20 or so nispero trees here. They are totally reliable, each mature tree gives about 40kgs of fruit which is almost unsellable at the moment. The fruit however is delicious, eat raw, stewed or use in cooking sweet & sour dishes.

WARNING! Do not eat the seeds - They are highly toxic, remove them from the fruit before cooking.

You should not need to thin the fruit if you have applied a ballanced fertillizer in March.
See also http://www.loquatworld.com/
Ann

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:24 pm

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Tried nispero whilst in cds and found them very nice.To me they tasted a bit like a pear come plumb taste mmmmm cant wait to sample them again.Also planted the seeds as you are advised to plant the seeds when fresh.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Just took this picture to show you what i do with NESPERO that's the Spanish name for Loquats, anyway this is what i do with them ,
this is half a jar of the fruit destoned two bottles of cheap gin from lidl and 500g sugar, that's it, the longer you keep it the nicer it gets ,ha ha this is only after about a month or so,took a picture for lot and just had to have a taste, yummy, have once by accident keeped it for two years, never in a million years would you have known it was gin, it was just very very nice.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Only just found this thread. We made jam and because nisperos are high in pectin it’s just sugar and the fruit. Delish!