spiders web

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

spiders web

Postby mhic » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Several plants I have in pots have something like spiders webs on them not a lot and very thin I
can't see any sign of anything else but I've noticed that those plants are not doing too well, could it be some sort of mite? Also I've been given some tomato seedlings is it worth putting them in this late.

Mhic.

annfoto
Resident

Re: spiders web

Postby annfoto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:24 pm

It is definitely worth planting out your tomato seedlings, should start to get fruit from them late August.
Your plants may be infested with red spider mite, google it for images. If that is the case might be better to get rid of them before the problem spreads
Ann

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks Annfoto I'll take a magnifying glass to them and have a good look, I'll put the toms in later as well.

Mhic.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:57 am

It will be Red Spider Mite (RSM) and they are buggas to treat. If the Plants are too far gone, burn them and start again. Very often the cure for RSM is prety rough on the plants and they die any way.
With that caveat in mind .. if the plants are still strong, confidor is prety effective but you need to have a prety structured treatment regime. If you dont tbreak the life cycle ...they will never be gone.

Also
Treating the plants is one thing , but arguable more important, is the changing of the conditions the plnats are kept in. RSM only live warm/hot DRY conditions. You cant controll the heat too well , but you can increase the humididty with regular watering and misting. That will encourage them to go else where.

RSM is not a pest that you really want !

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:13 pm

I've been over the affected plants several times now with a magnifying glass, checked under the leaves especially carefully but no sign of any mites but there are small white eggs on some leafs. Looked on google and the sites I read said the mite tends to be around the lower part of the plant but these webs are nearer the top. Lifted the worst affected, mostly Geraniums but I've now found the things on an orange tree which was sprayed with Confidor less than two weeks ago also had Confidor on the ground around it not that long ago. Any more idea's?

Mhic.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I'd still treat it as red spider mite. You must break the genertaion cycle. If you dont ... you might as well do nothing and let the plants go sooner rather than later .
All aracniods are very dificult to kill with insecticides and RSM is particularly more so !

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Neem oil is very good for killing spider mites and is non toxic too.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 am

I think that's good advice Martin.
Crazyred, I've never heard of Neem oil where would I get it and how should it be used?

Mhic.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:33 pm

As I make creams, mozzie repellent and beauty products I usually get mine from soap making supply companies as it's also very good for the skin. Some garden centres sell it and you could ask at a herboristeria that sells aromatherapy oils and they could probably order some in. I will clarify with my ex as he used to treat all our organic veggies with it. I think he just added some to water and a little liquid soap in a spray bottle and sprayed liberally but I will double check.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks, I have a friend in the UK who does all this mumbo jumbo medicine I'll give her a call if I can't find it here.

Mhic.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi mhic,
"this mumbo jumbo medicine".... at least it doesn't take out the goodies like the chemical cocktails that tend to kill all. :twisted:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:00 pm

mhic wrote:Thanks, I have a friend in the UK who does all this mumbo jumbo medicine I'll give her a call if I can't find it here.
Wow!! What a condescending and ignorant comment to make to someone who was only trying to make a helpful suggestion. Please do contact your 'friend' as I certainly wouldn't want to be accused of trying to push my mumbo jumbo, witch doctor voodoo on anybody! :silent:
Thanks for the reminder of why I rarely bother with this forum anymore :roll:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:25 am

Sorry I did not mean to offend anyone I meant it as a joke.

Mhic.