Clematis

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

Clematis

Postby Paula » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Is anyone successfully growing clematis of any kind?

I've seen some at the garden centre, and would like to try one in a large pot which would be situated in a fairly shady area only getting sun from late afternoon. I've not actually seen any growing in gardens anywhere I look.

murbisa
Resident

Re: Clematis

Postby murbisa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I bought one and had it on a big pot. It flowered in the spring but shrivelled up in the heat. Lasted 2 years and then died on me. I think it gets too hot over here for much success with them.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi Paula, I have never been tempted to grow clematis in Spain as one of the basic rules is they love to have their heads in the sun and their feet in cool, damp, shade. In the UK I have more than twenty varieties ( I currently have seven different ones flowering............ despite the lack of a 'flaming June' ) :x I love them for their variety, flowering every month of the year. Possibly passion flowers would be a good alternative? They come in lots of different colours and forms.
BUT, hey, why not give clematis a try, a challenge for the price of a few €s and let us know the outcome :thumbup:
Sandramay

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks for replies. The lady at the garden centre said they do well in the north obviously, and they have only just come down here.
I will try one in a pot. The front of the house has shade most of the day, infact where I want to put it would never be in full sun, though of course the heat alone may be too much (I am fast wilting myself at the moment :thumbdown: )
Passion flower may be a good idea, think I will get one of those aswell. Just get sick of the same old climbers and want to see some different flowers.
Hope the clematis takes, they are so beautiful in the UK at the moment, and give such a magnificent display.
Guess we can't have everything!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:10 pm

I've got one growing well, albeit on a shady patio. My friend up at Periana has about 6 growing, some in sun and some in shade, although they've all got their roots covered with tiles. They stop growing in July and August, but set off again in the autumn. Give them a go if they're not too expensive.
AlisonB

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:27 pm

That sounds promising :D
This would be predominantly shade, maybe I shall be lucky. I will give it a go.
Thanks.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 am

I have one bought as a slightly sad looking specimen from Lidl a few years ago,its in a border with climbing roses,gets the sun all day and its thriving!As we are in Seville province and it doesnt get alot hotter than here i say have a go. I never grew it in the pot though,it went straight into the flower bed as near to the rose as possible,so at the base it does get some protection.

CapnBilly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CapnBilly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Paula wrote: Passion flower may be a good idea, think I will get one of those aswell.
Just a word of warning about Passion Flowers. They will take over your garden if you're not careful. They are voracious growers in Spain, and will grow over anything else near them. In the end I dug mine out about 3 years ago, as they were strangling my Bougainville, and they still grow every year in completely different places in the garden. This year I cut one out of my wall about 2 metros up